The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Well the baby is asleep so I have to do some tank work that won't wake him up (that excludes sawing, drilling, cursing Jay etc) So I decided to do the break-in on my ro/di unit tonight.

Well, I was under the impression that you wanted the RO membrane to stay submerged at all times, so I am a little worried about the wasteline syphoning all of the water out of the membrane chamber after the supply water is shut off. I have a shut off valve on the waste line should I shut this off after the I shut off the supply water?

Does it hurt the membrane to let the waste line empty? I had one before that I would always just hold the waste line up in the air to make sure it broke the syphone then I would pin it up, but I didn't know what I was doing just trying to be careful.

Any help or guidance on this before I start running water through it would be great.

FWIW I will be disconnecting the carbon from the RO and running some water through the carbon first, then through the RO.....I won't run anything through the DI until its time to fill the tank (which will be before Jay I might add!).

RO/DI is an ARS Econo 4 stage. I do have a TDS meter.

Thanks
Dave

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
shutting off the waste line wont hurt as long as you remember to open it. The first 5 gallons or so thru a new unit should be tossed anyway

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.