The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my ro/di water and it's reading 133. I just bought new filters on 10/28/13 cause I had a major outbreak of dinos and thought that was the problem. These filters didn't last 2 months. Where does everyone get there filters? I'm gona need new ones ASAP. My tds from my tap is 225. Ro is 156 and ro/di is 133. This sucks

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
BTW that is a water drinking system, i can tell by the carbon filter behind the RO, louse that before your DI, and T off of it so water gots directly to the DI instead of to it first, also get you some better DI housing, those will work, but IDK for how long unless u need space and just like them, but u need a new full rack of filters. your city use Chlorine, or Chloramines ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok first question. The 2 clear filters on top are the color changing resin I just bought on 10/28/13. Below that is what I thought was a di resin that came with the rest of the filters I bought so I just threw it on for more filtering, idk. This is what I bought on ebay.

It says
1 5 micron sediment filter
1 5 micron coconut shell carbon block
1 GAC carbon filter
1 in line post filter
1 100gpd TFC membrane

The first clear filter on bottom is the 5 micron filter. The second (middle) is the (I think) coconut shell carbon block. And third on the left is the GAC carbon. The ro membrane sits on top then whatever the white filter then the di filters. So maybe I got the wrong filter? Idk. That was the first time I changed the filters since I had the unit. It came with brand new filters when I got it. I changed them cause I thought that was why I was having a Dino outbreak in both my tanks. The only thing the 2 share is water. So what do I need to buy?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
it involves measuring how much water comes out the ro side in 1 min and di side for 1 min and then a formula to figure out your reduction ratio.....LOL...that is the dumb mans way of explaining it....
Spectrapure has it on there site, and if that is one of there systems, they will get you exactly what you need and get you running it correct, they are really good

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You will spend more money on a good RO membrane, flow restrictor, sediment filter, carbon block and DI cartridge or resin than that system is worth.

You did not buy your present filters from Spectrapure and there really is a difference. They will not sell you a 100 GPD membrane no matter how hard you try, they will not do that to someone.

You can buy a new Spectrapure 90 GPD with a specially treated and batch tested 90 GPD high rejection rate RO membrane(not a dry, untested off the shelf 75 GPD or the worst possible membrane on the planet which you now have with the 100 GPD Dow Filmtec NanoFilter, its not even a RO membrane but only 90% efficient at best versus 96% average for the 75 and 98+% for the Spectrapure 90 GPD), 1.0 micron sediment filter (not 5 microns), a 1 micron 12,000 gallon carbon block (not a 6,000 gallon 5 micron), a capillary tube flow restrictor (not a fixed type that is rarely correct)fresh, specially blended reef specific DI resin( not prepackaged resin) and it comes with an inline pressure gauge all for about $130. Add a good handheld TDS meter for another $25 and you have a killer reef quality RO/DI, not a drinking water system.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.