The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Quick background I have been doing cichlids for about a year now have a 125 with a Wet/Dry on it and a 55. Have also been breading them so im used to daily water changes and such. Now like any hobby/addiction i need to step it up. I think its time to give marine a try. I have a 40 deep breader and a 20 that I was useing for the cichlid babies and I would like to make it marine. The guy i get my cichlids from said I can ONLY get a DI system without the RO part and be just fine. Is this true? I am on city water in the DC area so they put ALL kinda of chlorine in the water. I am having the 40 drilled with a Overflow and using the 20 gallon as the sump. And if you can recommend a good skimmer for the sump as well. THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
The problem with doing DI only is you will burn through DI resin like crazy...the rest of the filters on a good RO/DI system remove a lost of stuff before the water gets to the DI resin...that way your resin will last for a good while...I don't think you would ever be happy with a "DI only" setup...you'll be buying resin every time you turn around...there are some RO/DI systems that are close to 1:1 on waste water if that's a concern for you.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The RO membrane does 90-98% of the treatment, the DI only does the remaining 2-10%, you can see how quickly DI would exhaust with those numbers.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
There are many different quality and performance levels of RO/DI units on the market, make sure you get one that is considered reef quality for best performance and component life. You will also need a TDS meter to determine how well it is working and when the DI resin or membrane needs to be changed.

Several units I would recommend considering are the CSP-DI found here:
http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-appreciation.html#1

The 75 GPD Premium found here;
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com

The Optima Professional found here;
www.purelyh2o.com

Or the Reefkeeper found here:
www.melevsreef.com

All are reef quality systems, not a drinking water filter with a little dinky horizontal clear tube with some DI resin bobbing around in it that they make sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Research your RO/DI before purchasing to make sure you are getting the best long term value, many look cheap initially but eat you up in replacement costs over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts