The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all im ready to fill up my tank but overlooked where id get my water. i dont have an ro/di filter......but i do have a carbon filter under my kitchen sink for drinking water. will this suffice, or should i add some dechlorinator like prime just in case. in the future i will purchase an ro/di unit and do all my water changes with it but for now will this do?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Undersink does next to nothing for filtering water. I tested both a sink filter and a refrigerator filter with my TDS meter and it's identical to what's coming straight out of the tap. It's not the best but you can use tap water for the initial filling of the tank. The cycle and following diatom bloom will burn up the excess nutrients. Getting RO/DI for the topoff and water changes is very important to avoid dumping excess nutrients into the tank longterm.

Using a dechlorinator at this point is not necessary. You have no fish for the chlorine to hurt and it will dissipate out of the tank within a day. Chlorine does not stay in water and can easily be aerated out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts