The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TRT.

So i just got my Reefkeeper plus all set up. Tonight I noticed that the heater turns on and off alot. Almost as soon as it turns off it turns on. I have the probe on the other end of the tank. I cant figure it out.

Also when I put it on standby tonight one of the powerheads came back on but the return the skimmer and the other powerhead did not. Later the return came on. I have all set for 10min when on standby.

Any advice on how to fix this?

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I would go a full degree. But that is JMO. I don't know that it will hurt the heater to short cycle and maintain a closer temp.

Here is a good walk through video for setting up a RKL. Might have some similarities to the plus, but I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I hook it up to the computer? All my Bus cables are being used. Do In plug one and plug it into the usb?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured out how to get it to the computer. That is a great video! I thinki can handle it.

U guys are awsome thank u!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just unpluged the bus cable going from the sl1 to the 2nd PC4.

I still dont know where to find the firmware, or software, or whatever i need to use the set those guys were using.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did but it doesn't look like the same program. It doesn't let me adjust anything it just let's me update the head unit. I did read that I had to update every thing seperate so maybee after I get it all updated I. Will be able to set it up. I'm kinda uoset that a $280 peice of equip doesn't come with better instructions. I did learn that u have to sign up for the forum in order to acces the firmware. Seems a little strang and I didn't read that ne were except after I googled it. Seemseveryone who buys this gets confused. Also I have the SID for he old version. I read that I hae to send it back fo a free upgrade. But I think that's balogna, because why wouldntthey ship me the newest version.

I'm going o call the support number tonight if I get off work on time. Ill let u know what happens.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Interesting. I also use the RKL. When I programmed the slot as "heater" I did not have an opportunity to adjust set points. I could only set one temperature (79.0 in my case). I have three heaters running to this slot for my 125 Gallon - one in each overflow and one in the sump. My temp stays at darn near exactly 79.0 24/7. It flickers to 78.9 sometimes when the heaters turn on, and then sometimes I'll see it flicker at 79.1 for a moment when they shut off. They don't short cycle much either. On/off periods are usually 10/15 minutes each.

I do have another slot programmed for a fan, although it's unplugged at the moment and I'm not sure I'll even need it this summer (fish room is in an unfinished part of the basement and doesn't get above 68 or so). Since I named the port "fan", I was able to set an on and off temp - on at 79.5 and off at 79.

If your heater(s) short cycle, you may have too much for your tank. Just like a furnace or A/C unit for your house, it's better to size them adequately rather than too large. Something to consider.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I did but it doesn't look like the same program. It doesn't let me adjust anything it just let's me update the head unit. I did read that I had to update every thing seperate so maybee after I get it all updated I. Will be able to set it up. I'm kinda uoset that a $280 peice of equip doesn't come with better instructions. I did learn that u have to sign up for the forum in order to acces the firmware. Seems a little strang and I didn't read that ne were except after I googled it. Seemseveryone who buys this gets confused. Also I have the SID for he old version. I read that I hae to send it back fo a free upgrade. But I think that's balogna, because why wouldntthey ship me the newest version.

I'm going o call the support number tonight if I get off work on time. Ill let u know what happens.
That is what I meant to say when I posted this reply. You have to create a username on the forums to view any files or attachments on posts. Kind of retarded if you ask me. I don't know why DA does just make it a stand alone download on their site. The only reason I was able to find it was a google search.

Here you go!

You need to be logged in or you won't be able to view the zip file at the bottom of the first post.

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=7885

1 - 20 of 50 Posts