The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered not one, but two rio pumps from Foster/Smith, and as soon as I came to TRT I see two threads containing HORROR :angry: stories concerning them. I intend to change my order here real soon, but what should I get instead? I need sump returns for a 50 gal and a 110 gal tank. How many GPH do I need for each of these tanks? Is Ocean Runner any good? :confused: :read: Thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
@ how many feet, (another words, how many feet of pipe / tubing does the pump have to push water through before it gets back to the tank) For a 50, Maybe a mag 6 or 7 and for a 120 maybe a mag 10. Charts are provided for these mag drive pumps so that you can see what they put out at so may feet.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I like mag drive, IMO, but ocean runners, i have heard, work quite well too. Do not even place those rios in your tank, send them straight back!!!!! Theyre a trap for tank disaster as we all have heard today!!

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
rio's dont have a very good rep. in the reef world. they are okay pumps. but when they go .. they go badly ( usally)
ocean runner..dont know much about them.
you canalso look at mag pumps. for the 50g something like the mag 5 ,the 110 depending on the over flow and what it can handle mag 12 , or even a sequnece , blue line pump
are these for a return or a cls?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. They are for the returns from the sump. What does CLS stand for? I couldn't find it under the frequently used acronyms. Mag drive is the brand name?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I just called Fos/Smith and they won't let me change my order. Once you click that final button online, it is written in STONE. I'll have to wait until the RIO's get here and then send them back which means I'll pay for shipping two times.:mad:

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I used RIO pumps for several years & i never had a problem, but then i started hearing and reading the same thing, so now i run with Mag's, when i did run the Rio i cleaned them once every 2 months or so and replaced the impeller's about every 2 years, like i said i had no problem with them, but i was not going to take a chance so now i run 2 Mag 7's for the return on my 75 gallon, & keep the Rio's for a back up, so it's a gamble, im not going to knock the Rio or the TAAM corp, that who makes them, they served me well, but i think thats a choice you will half to make, when you do get them just make shure you keep them clean.
Brent. :wavey:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, the one I have now I got for free from a friend and it must be started by hand! A real chore.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
cobray said:
Thanks, the one I have now I got for free from a friend and it must be started by hand! A real chore.

It needs a new impeller, thats the norm, with them pumps i know, used them for years! Basiclee you have to just keep a good eye on them,
Your choice.
Brent.:wavey:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have a RIO on my skimmer and I am Scared.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I have alway keep the rio's for things like water changes and not in the tanks, But I wanted to add 2nd skimmer and it happened. I was lucky to catch it early and not lose every thing. But I think I will lose some of my corals and clams

·
11,345 Posts
cobray said:
By the way, I just called Fos/Smith and they won't let me change my order. Once you click that final button online, it is written in STONE. I'll have to wait until the RIO's get here and then send them back which means I'll pay for shipping two times.:mad:
I find that surprising. I know they will let you return it no questions asked. Go try using their online helpdesk. Im willing to bet they DO help you out with what your wishes are, just try finding a different person to talk to than whoever you did talk to. I have been amazed in the past at just how customer service oriented F&S are.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fly Guy said:
I find that surprising. I know they will let you return it no questions asked. Go try using their online helpdesk. Im willing to bet they DO help you out with what your wishes are, just try finding a different person to talk to than whoever you did talk to. I have been amazed in the past at just how customer service oriented F&S are.
I will certainly try that.;) I too was surprised that they would rather ship them out then let me change the order before it was processed. Doesn't make much sense does it? Thanks for motivating me to give it another try.:)

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Owning a Rio is not a death sentence. It's just that when they go, they like to barf up their insides into the tank...all that good stuff that has no business being in a tank.

Like some of you guys, I use Rios to mix upo water change water. But I have had Rios in display tanks for many years with no problems, too.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
whatever you do - dont use then in a in sump skiimer, maybe a return , but not the skimmer. I believe I quote Jenn on this, but when you have one for return and it melts down, The pump stops and that sludge is contained in the sump. When its in the skimmer, it blows up and the working well return pumps that sluge all through the displaY!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I know a guy whose Rio started a fire inside his sump!! You should pay shipping twice, it is cheaper than the insurance deductible on the house.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts