The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a 10g tank, and I just bought a rio nano skimmer. It's the type that hangs off of the back of the aquarium. When I first bought it, I set it up, didn't make any adjustments and it seemed to be working fine (It was bubbling a lot up through the tube and it looked functional.) A couple of days later, the bubbles weren't going up through the tube as much. It looked like the bubbles would go half way up the collection cup tube, then pop. So I raised the venturi to produce more air, and that seemed to do the trick..then the same situation occurred again, it slowly stopped producing as many bubbles. I've adjusted the flow control, raised the venturi tube and made sure the nut was tight, but I keep finding myself in the same situation. I can see bubbles when I look down the collection cup tube, but it's not going up THROUGH the tube. Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Unfortunately, that is what that those skimmer do... not real fix. Keep the air wide open and the neck clean. It has to build the foam head and that skimmer does not do it very well.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Aw man that's crappy news :( It only cost me $30 bucks, so I guess you get what you pay for. Well thanks for the help, doc.
yeah, you do not start seeing decent skimmer until about the $150 range.

If you want to amp the Rio up on performance enhancing drugs, fine some wooden airstones, and a air pump. Run a line down the skimmer chamber, with the wooden diffuser and pump air into the skimmer area. I do not know if it will be able to handle the extra air, but it would work better by pushing more air into the Rio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.