The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a green ricordia polyp, but don't know much about them. I need to know if they are a good coral to start with and what their needs are. Are they like mushrooms? Do they need to be fed? Do they have high light requirements. My tank has beenrunning for months and it's time to get a coral, and I like the pics I've seen of ricordia. I have 130W of PC light over a 29G, 18" tall tank. My nitrates are now down to 5ppm.

·
11,345 Posts
They are pretty easy to care for. they like more light than most mushrooms and would be happiest near the top of your tank..... they are mostly photosynthetic and you dont have to feed them regularly, although they do like and will eat mysis or blender mush or similar.
They should do fine in your system.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Is it true that they divide very slowly? If so, they would be perfect for my smaller tank. Oh, and as for feeding, can I give them small bits of fresh shrimp?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Very easy to keep. Once you pick a spot, leave him be. They don't like being disturbed. He'll adjust to flow and light.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would consider it an easy care coral. I've had mine for almost a year now. On occassion I feed it pieces of fresh shrimp. I like watching it eat. I had it on the substrate for around 8 months until it started mulitplying. Now it has it's own rock to call home.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,038 Posts
I agree they do better in good light and don't grow or divide as fast as regular Shroom, I started with one and have 5 now, It been along time it seems .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts