The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a no-brainer for most folks, but I'd rather risk sounding the fool than risk making some creature miserable because of my ignorance.

What sorts of conditions are best for ricordia in terms of light, water movement, etc.? What should I look for in a specimen before bringing it home? I've seen a couple nice looking pieces at the LFS lately, and I though they'd make a attractive addition to my LPS-dominated reef. Only problem is, I've never dealt with these critters before, and none of my reference books say much about them.

Thanks...
Bert

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Care Level: Moderate
Light: Moderate
Water Flow: Low
Placement: Middle
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Color Form: Blue, Gold, Orange, Red
Dominance: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Ideal Supplements: Trace Elements, Iodine
Origin: Atlantic Ocean
Family: Ricordeidae

The Ricordea, or Flower Mushroom Coral, is a member of the order Corallimorpharia (Stephenson, 1937), and has short, club, or berry-shaped tentacles. It shares some similarities to stony corals, and is also termed a Disc Anemone.

It will adapt to a wide variety of lighting conditions, and care should be taken to acclimate this coral to metal halide lighting. Place the coral low in the aquarium until it opens fully, then gradually over a few weeks, move the coral to the desired location. It prefers a low water movement within the aquarium. It is considered semi-aggressive and requires adequate space between itself and other corals. It reproduces by longitudinal fission.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within it provide the majority of its nutritional requirements from the light driven process of photosynthesis. It also eats plankton and smaller invertebrates such as crustaceans.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info !!

Sounds like a good candidate for my tank, which is a 36"LX18"WX25"H AGA over a 20 gal. sump with a EuroReef CS6-2 lit by 2X95W 50/50 VHO plus 2X95W Actinic VHO.

From the data you gave me, I'm thinking they'd be best placed low in the tank or in a shaded spot maybe mid level.

Again, thanks much....

Bert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.