The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over night my smallest ricorida polyp turned brown and was covered with a slime. I assume the worst for it. I would post a pic but I am at work now. does anybody have any insite. the piece sits about half way on the tank with t-5 lighting 4 bulbs. on 57 gal.

all tank peramiters are fine.
Ph 8.3
alk 6-7
cal 450
amm. 0.00
no2 0.00
no3 0.00
temp 76-77
salt 1.024

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I had this happen twice in my tank, but with orange mushrooms. Whole patches just slimed away within a few days. To this day I have no idea what happened.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Alk seems low. How long have you had the shroom?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had this shroom for about a week maybe two, they are not the only shrooms in the tank. It was only the smallest one and the other two polyps look fine.

Ya I know I am fighting that new tank ph crash syndrom. the am is 7.8-7.9 and then lights on goes up. I cant wait until my ac3 controller comes in.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well I came home from the shift that beat me in the ground only to find that another ricorida polyp has exploded and there is only one left. I wish I knew what was the cuase of this. I know the alk is a little low but everthing thing else is in line.

:bawling:

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Sorry...that's stinky indeed. How is everything else in the tank? If everything else is okay, I wonder if it's a parasite or something similar specifically going after your ricordia...?

I wish I could help you, but I just don't know. I am very sorry for your loss, though. :(

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya that is what i was thinking all the other corals specificly polyps are fine look great I just dont know may i will post a pic or two.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok ricorida pic 2 is from today 6/14

ricorida pic 1 is from 6/11

what is wrong with the picture?

·
Registered
393 Posts
are these new additions to your tank?

looks like you have some hair algae or cyano issues, how long has your tank been set -up? When's the last time you've done a big water change?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tank has been set up for about 10-12 weeks. the ricordia is about 2 weks old. there has never been a water change on the tank thus far. note there is no amonia, nitrite, or nitrate in the tank either. at the advice of the LFS I have held off on a BIG water change to kill off the CYO.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you mean increase flow?

I plan on the water change this weekend. prob 20 gal of 75

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
You may want to hold off for a while on adding anything more to the tank in the way of livestock until you get this under control.

Just an idea. :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya we will be waiting until the algae prob is gone. I hope that this is not something that is going to wipe out the rest of the corals. that will be a bummer. I dont think it will because the all look so good.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ricordias hate light, try to place it on a shadow and see how it react. I burn several ricodias under power compact lightning, I can't imagine what a T5 or MH can do to them. Under direct light they do exactly what you describe, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I will move it lower in the tank and hope for the best. I read today that they position themselves horizontaly on the reef so I tried that. I will move it down on the bottom of the tank when I get home.

·
Registered
393 Posts
this is total speculation...

Ya know... i'm not sure about the whole low light thing with ricordeas. I have mine right under direct 150w 10000k metal halide and they're doing great.

Considering you're only running at 50w of pc, too little light might be the problem. Do your rics look like they're reaching for the light? Or, do they look shriveled and appear to be burning? I'd be really really surprised if you're burning them with the little pc set-up that you have.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:agree: I am running T-5's with a 64 w PC. I also belive that this is not the problem. :agree:

When the polyp begins to disinagrate it looks like a brown algae attacking the polyp. :help: It looks like the polyp is turning it's self inside out. I am probable going to lose the last one today What a bummer. :cry:

I will have a better grasp on what is going on with the tank after Friday when my controller and Salifert test kits come in. ;) all of the other corals seem to be doing so well I just don't understand.:confused: that is the way the coral crumbles so to speak.:bawling:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts