The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
strange title....

I have a ric the size of a penny and I put his base in a hole in liverock the size of a dime.
He slipped in and I can see him but he is in the hole (only about 1/2 inch deep.
I cant get him out w/ out tearing him up. Will it grow out of the hole?
He definately gets light in there if that helps...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hate to tell you, I lost one that way (I left it in the hole-it slimmed over-so I figured I'd get it out then, and it died) ..so, I'd try to get it outta there...can you take the rock out and turn it upside down?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
webdr said:
strange title....

I have a ric the size of a penny and I put his base in a hole in liverock the size of a dime.
He slipped in and I can see him but he is in the hole (only about 1/2 inch deep.
I cant get him out w/ out tearing him up. Will it grow out of the hole?
He definately gets light in there if that helps...
Yes, and if the light or current is insufficient, it will move out of the hole to a location that IS acceptable. They can "walk" on their foot, it may not be fast, but it is enough to be somewhat mobile.

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the hole is a little bigger on the inside, so he has expanded in there:(
a baster wont work ......
I think my only option is to remove the rock and chip the hole bigger with a screwdriver since the hole is very close to the edge of the rock, it should open it up w/ minimal pressure.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Good luck! man i hope he makes it! i love mine i have had him about 5 months and he is starting to split, mine is a Florida green with a blue rim.
Good luck.
Brent.
PS. keep us posted :agree:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
have you tried grabbing it gently with some tweezers, or sucking it onto the turkey baster then pulling it out gently, might tick it off a little, but would be better than hittin it with a screw driver.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
leveldrummer said:
have you tried grabbing it gently with some tweezers, or sucking it onto the turkey baster then pulling it out gently, might tick it off a little, but would be better than hittin it with a screw driver.
Hitting it with a screwdriver won't be bad. He'll have two then.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Good save! use some netting or loose rubberband and secure him to some rubble.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Good to hear that you have what you were looking for.

Just a note on the suggestion to use a screwdriver as a chisel in a glass tank: although if the tank has a DSB to spread out the force of the impact, the use of a screwdriver in the tank as a chisel, especially if used with a hammer of some sort, is almost a guarantee of cracking the bottom glass pane. If you do this, it is much better to remove the rock from the tank before using a chisel-and-hammer approach.

Just a precaution for those reading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts