The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first week of December '07 I received two (one orange/blue, one blue/green , approx 1/2") ricordea in a package from Drs F&S. I've been feeding and they're presently about 2". How large can I expect them to get? How quickly do they spread without assistance? The rock they're on is about 12" x 12". Do I have room to add a couple more (thinking of different colors) or do I need to leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've got one that is 3" across but most of mine split when they are about half that size. anyway they like a lot of light and not a ton of flow. I almost never feed them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
What are you feeding them. I never feed mine, but then again, they really don't grow fast for me.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
My ric does nothing. It's bright orange and green. Is it because the water's too clean??? he's in my bb sps tank.

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are you feeding them. I never feed mine, but then again, they really don't grow fast for me.
I'm using "Marine Cuisine" frozen cubes every week to ten days. It's mainly for the palys, crabs, stars, etc. but I figured I'd give the rics and 'shrooms a shot and they seemed to like it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I feed my tank "H20 life Mini Mysis" and my wife and I watched my inch wide Yuma eat a whole mysis shrimp. It was insane. The shrimp landed on the yuma near the mouth, the mouth leaned over toward it and slowly sucked the whole thing in. I wish I could have recorded it.
I have read others saying they have better growth and faster spliting when they spot feed their ric's. I have only had my oldest one for a month now though so I dont know. All I can say is they do eat and mine likes mysis.

Steven

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use "Formula One " marine pellets and my rics will eat them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have kept many different Ricordea florida and Ricordea yuma before... the largest one I have kept is about 4'' across and the largest that I have ever seen was about 10" and that was at the GA aquarium and is abnormally big for a Ricordea mushroom. They are relatively easy corals to keep but are not as hardy as other mushroom corals.

Depending on whether or not you bought them tank-raised or wild-caught will have an impact on their survivability and their lighting requirements. Wild-caught Ricordea tend to not mind high light situations as opposed to tank-raised which prefer Power Compact lighting or indirect Metal Halide lighting (ie: shaded under a rock ledge or very low in the tank. I have seen a wild-caught Ricordea yuma be fully open and happy directly under a 250W Metal Halide and I've seen tank-raised Ricordea melt under similar conditions. It helps to know where the specimen in question is from so you can provide it with the ideal captive environment.

As far as feeding goes, I have never noticed any real benefit from feeding Ricordea mushrooms. They get most of their sustenance from photosynthesis. However, larger Ricordea will eat small bits of food if it is placed near their mouth. Chopped up brine, mysis, or clam will suit it just fine.

And lastly, as far as growth is concerned, I have never noticed any real growth in any of my Ricordea mushrooms. I have had some for over a year and have noticed little to no growth. It is extremely difficult to tell because the coral will expand and shrink periodically depending on its environment.

Hope this has been helpful.
-Chris

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The orange florida is now close to 4" in diameter with one mouth (really, it looks like a small carpet 'nem). The blue-grey has two mouths but is closer to a 3" width. I'm not complaining, mind you. Both have more than tripled in size since early December.:beer:

·
11,345 Posts
They dont grow much for me.........but I like them. I find the floridas need to be as far away from my lights as they can get withough being in the shade to have their best color. Im running 10 k halides though

here is my pride and joy yuma and one of my favorite floridas. that pink yuma is over 4" across. Considering some of the offers I have had on that pink yuma i have actually been target feeding it for the last few months trying to get some babies.....no luck yet....

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I've seen the pink. I officially hate you now. :D

·
11,345 Posts
Bump ! i want that Pink Yuma !
Everybody wants my pink yuma :D

wanna see my other pink yuma......not quite so big or bright......but its pretty big and bright as well. this one actually does drop a baby out on occasion, unlike the other one.

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Let me know i love that yuma ! ( what kinda price we talking here lol)

·
11,345 Posts
LOL. its not for sale. Ive been offered $400 for it more than once. partially pink yumas are not that hard to find. Solid hot pink ones, and large ones to boot arent too easy to come across. I got lucky and picked it up for a song(in relevance) from a guy breaking down a tank. Both of those in fact I got at the same time.

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
LOL. its not for sale. Ive been offered $400 for it more than once. partially pink yumas are not that hard to find. Solid hot pink ones, and large ones to boot arent too easy to come across. I got lucky and picked it up for a song from a guy breaking down a tank.
I ment the babys :doh:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts