The Reef Tank banner

How Often Do you feed your fish

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see if i am on par with everyone else with my feeding schedule. Please include what you feed i.e. meaty food, nori, etc..

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I use Rod's Food, a frozen meaty blend. (rods-reef.com)

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
6 Days a week. Yes, I know it' too much, but every night at almost EXACTLY 6:45 they all put their cute little faces to the glass, and give me the "we're hungry" look...:(

·
11,345 Posts
I have no real schedule but on average I feed 2-4 times a day somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 days a week.....the other days I dont feed at all.

I feed sheets of nori and a homemade concoction of clams, mussels, oysters with some frozen mysis shrimp and DT's oyster eggs added.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no real schedule but on average I feed 2-4 times a day somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 days a week.....the other days I dont feed at all.

I feed sheets of nori and a homemade concoction of clams, mussels, oysters with some frozen mysis shrimp and DT's oyster eggs added.
Are all those yours in the pics? They are all so pretty.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I feed 2-3 times a day and make sure I skim good afterwards....

several kinds of brine shrimp, rotifers, Nori, ect.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow alot of difference. what makes the diff. in feeding? how would i know if my fish would be ok with less food

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
wow alot of difference. what makes the diff. in feeding? how would i know if my fish would be ok with less food
My fish are BIG and like to eat...also I have 4-400 watt lights that absorb some of the nutrients so I feed more to keep my tank fed....

·
Registered
10 Posts
i feed small amounts of food pretty much any time i think about it. my fish may get fed 4 times one day and not eat again for 3 days, or they may get fed once a day for several days in a row. i feed with kent platinum pellets (carnivore, herbivore, tropical extreme and chroma extreme) blended with new life spectrum marine formula, so my fish get a well rounded diet of meat and vegetable proteins with little waste. i also have an extensive clean-up crew (20 blue legs, 20 astreas, 20 nassarius, 3 peppermint shrimp, untold hundreds of bristle worms in a 20 gallon) so food disappears FAST, but my fish are still plump and happy and nitrates only get around 10 ppm and that's if i neglect my water changes for over a month.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
i feed small amounts of food pretty much any time i think about it. my fish may get fed 4 times one day and not eat again for 3 days, or they may get fed once a day for several days in a row. i feed with kent platinum pellets (carnivore, herbivore, tropical extreme and chroma extreme) blended with new life spectrum marine formula, so my fish get a well rounded diet of meat and vegetable proteins with little waste. i also have an extensive clean-up crew (20 blue legs, 20 astreas, 20 nassarius, 3 peppermint shrimp, untold hundreds of bristle worms in a 20 gallon) so food disappears FAST, but my fish are still plump and happy and nitrates only get around 10 ppm and that's if i neglect my water changes for over a month.

Oh yeah I do 50 gallon weekly wc's!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Here is how I feed:

Daily:
1 pinch of either Dried Brine shrimp or flake - Morning

1 pinch of either Dried Brine shrimp or flake - evening

Everyother day:
2 cubes of Spirulean enhanced brine shrimp
1 Cube of frozen mysis - spot feed mandarin and shrimp

About once a week:
Feed corals - phyto, DT, MicroVent, etc all mixed together, turn off pumps and let sit for about 15 minutes

Once or twice a week:
Dried seaweed for the tangs and who ever else wants some...:)

I know this seems like a lot but they clean up everything except the seaweed within probably 3 minutes and everytime I feed they eat like crazy.

I do try and spot feed someother corals some of the brine shrimp but doen't do it regularly.

Hope this helps....

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I try to feed every day,.. but ya. I'm buisy when I'm at home and don't always remember.

I like to alternate,.. I feed Misys,.. Cyclopeaze, Flake, Nori, some vegi food, and some oister eggs when I have them.

Often times I feed 2 of these foods together,.. but my tank has a fairly big skimmer,..

Whiskey

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i cant bring myself to fast my fish not even for one day

plump bellies are happy fish :D

i feed 2-3 times daily, prepared foods only, flakes and pellets, nori soaked in vitamins and garlic
i'll only feed frozen foods when i have a picky eater, and i stop once the finicky fish accepts prepared foods

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I feed mine sporadically the 95 gets nori 1-2 times a week and rods food 1-2 times a week

The 24 gets rods food when the big tank does

the 5.5 gets rods food with the other 2 but I do give the basslet pellets everyday - the tank isn't big enough to keep him fed otherwise

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
i cant bring myself to fast my fish not even for one day

plump bellies are happy fish :D

i feed 2-3 times daily, prepared foods only, flakes and pellets, nori soaked in vitamins and garlic
i'll only feed frozen foods when i have a picky eater, and i stop once the finicky fish accepts prepared foods

prepared food?? what do you feed?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
There isn't a section for it varies:D

Some days I feed once, some days twice and occasionally three times a day. Some days I don't feed at all. I always vary the food between mysis, marine cuisine, brine, formula I and II, nori and blender mush. Sometimes I feed with garlic and/or selcon. I feed small quantities at a time to control over feeding.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts