The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just recieved my Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Professional series and i know this company has had some bad press in recent times but i just wanted to give a first had account and review of one of their products. In this review ill give pics and rewiews of each part.

Price: $109 + $23 shipping= $122

1. Packaging
- In my opinion the packaging seemed pretty good.. bulbs could have been wrapped a little better but its a light bulb in the mail what can u say.. the main box was an extra thick cardboard box and inside were two boxes one contaning the main fixture and one containing the legs.

** Two of my bulbs arrived broken unfortunatley so i would have to say that sucked but again.. it comes with shipping lights.. it happens and i wont judge the whole fixture on that.

2. Setting Up The Light
- Ok so after getting over having two broken bulbs i started setting up the light. The legs seem a bit sketchy but after being set up right they feel pretty sturdy. The way they are designed isnt too bad. you set it up bu sliding a metal piece with a large head into a slot that it hooks into.

The legs secure onto the tanks with the screws seen on the bottom. They have rubber stops on them to keep then from sliding.. if you tighten them down all the way its a pretty sturdy piece.

3. Timer Setup:
- Setting up the timer is a little more difficult due to the lack of directions.. luckily a guy onlilne had posted a step by step on how to do this..So far the timer has been dead on and has switched all my light without incident.

Exact Timer Set-Up Instructions:

First, you need to set up the clock.

Then, hit the HQI or ACT. BLUE or LED to set up the three sections individually.

After you have the clock set, All sections should be at OFF position as indicated by the arrow underneath the time shown.

Then, hit the section you need to set up, for example HQI, twice, then arrow will point at AUTO
Hit PROG, You will see ON shown on the left of the time in the display
Set the MIN and HOUR you want the set up to be turned on
Hit PROG again.

To set the time off, hit the same section, for example HQI three times, The arrow below the time will now point at AUTO again
Hit PROG
Hit the HQI button again until you see OFF shown on the left of the time in the display
Set the MIN and HOUR you want the set up to be turned off
Hit PROG

Repeat above on other sections.

Overall Quality

The overall quality i would have to say is about a 6 out of ten. The fixture gets a little hot while its on but i have not noticed any raise in water temp thus far. The fact that you can just flip the light up to gain access to the tank is very handy. The bulbs have very good color so far from what ive seenand hopefully that will only get better when i get the replacement actinic bulbs. The L.E.D's are quite amazing.. wonderful shimmer at night and deep blue color.

There is a bit more but im getting tired so i will post it tomorrow.. i think this is enough for tonight.. I would highly recommend this fixture to those reefers that are shopping on a budget

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have had this exact same lighting fixture for a little over a year now I must say that it works fairly well for the price, however be fore warned I really advised that you re enforce the flimsy legs now with like some tank sealant before you run into the same problems that i have they are not the sturdiest legs ....

·
Registered
649 Posts
i mean other than the broken bulbs i cannot complain about this fixture at all. ont thing i never did figure out is can you fit other brands of bulbs in there ? there seem to be mixed reviews of this

I have not tried yet I was just considering replacing my bulbs because it's pushing 1 1/2 years on them but now I think that I might just replace this unit with your model that has better legs lol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I know did you purchase yours from Aqua Traders also? and outside of the lame legs this light has been fairly awesome I have not done hard corals, but for everything else it has worked amazing I am very pleased with the production vs price.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Those that have these lights are they UL listed?

Unfortunately they are not at least mine are not the newer models may very well be, I didnt know about UL listed devices until I began researching my light after I ordered it, boy I heard so many horror stories of the ballast catching fire etc etc.

But then i dug a little deeper and discovered those stories were based on the 1st & 2nd generation unit's, my light was 4 generation and apparently his must be 5th gen. So far mine does not produce much heat, no smoke no burning plastic smells nada IDK maybe I have just been lucky.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts