The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RO/DI system finally arrived. (RO/DI Review part 1) It is a great system! Good components and a great deal. It was not tremendously difficult to install. Here are some of the details and a few tips not included in the instructions.

Unpacking and clearing the space
Ths system came in two boxes, one for the system...

and one for the tank.

Notice the $0.70 per gallon Publix water the system replaces. ;)

This is the space before clearing...

and ready for the install

continued...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Installing the faucet
The kit comes with a holding tank and faucet. This makes life much easier and was a bonus for convincing the wifey to spend the $$. :D
I picked a spot for the faucet and drilled the mount hole...

The plumbing hardware was a F*&$&$#* [email protected]!$#& to install...

I went smoothly once I broke down and asked for some help.

I also hijacked a pillow from my 5 yr olds bed...

made things much easier on the back! A flashlight is handy too.

The feed water
The feed water was fairly easy to install once I got the alignment correct. Be sure to install and pierce the line AFTER you turn off the water supply.

A bucket is a life saver. (notice the soaked cabinet, DOH!)

continued...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The discharge water saddle
Time to break out the drill again...

I cleaned the pipe thoroughly before attaching the foam gasket...

The discharge hose goes on the clamp.

Hooking everything up
I ran water through the prefilter and carbon block before attaching the RO mebrane. After about a minute or so it ran clear.

I then installed the membrane. The membrane was a bit tricky. It is a very tight fit in the housing.

I then hooked up the DI unit and the activated carbon post filter.

Notice the auto shut-off valve.

The storage tank went off to the never used and unreachable corner of the cabinet.

Time to turn it on and break out the towels! :confused: I had a few small leaks and had to tighten a few of the connections. With the 75 GPD membrane it took about an hour to fill the 3.2 gallon tank. I then had clean RO/DI water!

The water tests out at about 1ppm with the TDS meter I bought. The before RO/DI test was at 36ppm! The water averages about $0.10 per gallon. I would definitely recommend this system.

Aquasafe RO/ DI 75gpd 6-stage system $151.00 with shipping.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Sammy, nice review. We're neighbors! Where in Lawrenceville do you live? I've had my AquaSafe for about a month now and still lovin it. How do you fill up your buckets for the tank? I'd love to borrow your tds meter some time to see what my before and after numbers are.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nate-g -
Hi neighbor! I am off of Old Peachtree and Dean road.

I got the TDS meter form ebay as well for about $28.00 with shipping. Bring some water over and we'll test it (PM me.)

I have a smaller bucket that I fill in the sink. I dump that into one of my 5g buckets for salt mixing. I have a 15g nano so I only need about 1.5g mixed for water changes.

Pic of the TDS meter:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.