The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the plunge and purchased an RO/DI water filtration system. The sytem I purchased is available on eBay.

Aqua-safe is a Canadian company and seems to have the best price I have found on this level of system. This is a 75 gallon per day system with 6 stage filtration! :)

Also has a 3.2 gallon hold tank and a long-reach faucet for sink mounting. This feature made it much easier to convince the wifey. :funny:

I paid a grand total of $151.50 for the system.

Will post more pics of the installation this weekend.

Here is a pic of the system:

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Keep us posted!

I've been looking at those,too, on ebay. Please let us know how well it works and if there are any problems you encounter. The price is almost "too good to be true".

I really need an RO/DI!!!!

Nicole

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Same one I just bought but it sure is taking its sweet time coming home.

Ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also just bought this system about a month ago. I got the Reef RO/DI system which is the same as above minus the holding tank and final carbon filter. It seems to be really nice quality. All the components are heavy duty and it uses the same filmtec 75gpd membrane as all the others. Also the under the sink install is very clean with everything you need included; but if you want to install it somewhere else (say the garage) you'll have to get your own fittings for that. I didn't spring for the TDS meter, but all of the guy's feedback says final TDS are 0-15. Just wish the filter housings were clear, but for the $105 I paid for it (including shipping) I'm extremely happy.

·
2,679 Posts
Nate, that is the system I bought. I am hoping that It is easily removable.

Ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
well, the installation is semi-permanent. You have to drill the pipes under the sink for the water intake and waste water to the drain. Then you attach these clamp-on fittings. If you remove the fittings, you'll have to repair your pipes because they'll have holes in them. I don't know much about plumbing but I think you can buy something that will plug over the holes pretty easily. I wouldn't worry about it. How's the tank move going? Still waiting for the RO/DI to arrive before you get started?

Nate

·
Registered
123 Posts
oh, 1 more thing. When I was first setting up the unit I had a couple leaks here and there because they forgot to use teflon tape on one of the connections and 1 or 2 of the other connections were just not quite tight enough. A couple turns of the wrench though and everthing worked great. Not sure how they can make money on these things at that price.

·
2,679 Posts
Yup, I am waiting for it to show up. We were suppose to move in Sept, and I wanted to wait but now it looks like it will not happen. So I am setting up the 75 gal. I am at the wall adjacent to the garage but there is a concrete slab under the garage, and the basement looks like that wall is reinforced with a cinderblock wall. the cross beams go 90 degrees away using what looks like 2X6 joists. I figure it can handle my 75 gal, a 40 gal sump plus my 65 gal for a wee bit.

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am really tired of buying water all the time....7 bucks for ro salt every two weeks can be expensive....

Is this easy to install in an apt....I think i would want the reef system...does it mount under the kitchen sink.....

Another question....These things really waste water, correct? Does anyone see a change in their water bill, and what do you do about filters....How often do you change them....

thanks

clay

·
2,679 Posts
I hear it is for ever 4 gallons, you get one good gallon of water. I am trying to use some for watering plants but most likely it will go down the drain.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Note that if your concern is water conservation, it doesn't matter if the RO is made at your house or at the store.

Does anyone see a change in their water bill
I don't notice a drastic increase in the water bill. I guess I make about 75 gallons a month. A few months ago I filled the 120g tank and sump, and I still didn't notice a big change. Not saying there isn't an increase, but I sure don't notice it.

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
My pool is 40,000 gallons and it was 900 dollars the first time we filled it but this last time it was only 300 dollars.

I doubt making water with an RO/DI will be too drastic.

·
Registered
921 Posts
40,000 gallon pool reef

Now that would make an excellent reef tank. Needs about 30 tons of live rock and sand with halide supplement light in the winter. Of course a greenhouse enclosure would be a must. You could even keep those Tangs everyone keeps saying need wide open spaces. With your own scuba gear or snorkle it would be like living in paradise.
:fish:

·
Registered
123 Posts
hessondc, yes it is designed to mount under a kitchen or bathroom sink. If you get it with the reservoir it will take up ~1/2 your under the sink space. Otherwise it doesn't take up much room and should fit into an appt quite nicely.

I still need to put some kind of overflow drain into my setup. Last night I turned the water on to fill up a 5 gal bucket. I forgot the water was on and after we finished watching a movie my Wife goes "oh, is the water still on?"

me: "CRAP!"
(dash to the bathroom)

amazingly the water had not overflowed: the water tension was the only thing keeping the water from overlowing. I wish I had a picture. For those of you that took chemistry: think inverted meniscus.

·
2,679 Posts
Dang, see with me it would have flooded the bathroom, with me think "inverted Mensa".

How did you connect it , was it permanent. That is Lisa's greatest fear since we are planning on moving eventually.

Ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ray, read my 2nd post, it's not really permanent.

·
2,679 Posts
I wondered if anyone would catch the mensa reference.....

kewl. Well I am attaching mine as soon as it comes in. I ordered it last wednesday.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I still need to put some kind of overflow drain into my setup.
Me too. Let me know if you figure anything out. Unfortunately mine DID overflow a couple weeks back. No big deal since it is on the ground floor, but of course I'd prefer that it doesn't happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts