Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering about using the purified water "Dasani" by
the CocaCola company. They claim to purify it by reverse
osmosis which would make it perfect for water changes and
top-ups, HOWEVER.... it does contain the additives potasium
chloride, and magnesium sulphate. I would appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
371 Posts
:D WELCOME!!! You found the spot to ask and learn from our mistakews.
I wouldn't use dasani water. In the market you can generally find RO/DI water. It's just a matter of reading the labels, plus here we can get it in 1 and 2.5 gal sizes for about 60-70 cents a gal. Certainly cheaper than all that coke stuff.
I also don't mix my own water. I get mine from a lfs. At 80 cents a gal, it's so much easier.
Again, welcome to the world of reefaholics. Yes we all have this addiction......

Lee:beer:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I use wal-mart Distiled water and have not had a problem...I mix it up with IO...I have found that the calcium is a little low, but I add my own....

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT!!!

i also would not use the Dasani water. there are a lot of better-cheaper alternatives out there. you can either get RO/DI water or pre-mixed from the LFS for cheaper than the Dasani. any local supermarket will also have water that will work.

G~

·
Registered
658 Posts
While you may be able to find RO water in vending machines in your local supermarket, RO/DI water may be a bit tougher to find.
The reason being is that RO water still tastes good and is good for drinking, but RO/DI is bitter since it's 99% (or more) pure.
I went down this same road in the quest to rid my reef of diatoms, unfortunately, the plain RO water still has enough silica contained in it that it didn't make much difference.
I finally plunked down the cash and bought a 6-stage RO/DI unit on ebay (including the 4-gallon storage drum and the sink spigot) which hopefully should be here tomorrow.
While RO water is definitely better than tap water, it still adds some stuff in that the reef can do better without.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Paul,

I would recommend investing in and RO/DI Filter as it will save you money in the long term and your tank will be happier for it. Air Water Ice has the best deal going. They have a 100 Gallon Per Day RO/DI system called the Typhoon I Reefkeeper for $159.00 and it is awesome. I have had mine for over 8 months and is still cranking out 100 percent pure water. I have a TDS Meter and keep track of its efficiency and it is at 0 PPT. If you are intrested in getting on go out to http://airwaterice.com .

Earl

·
Registered
565 Posts
No problem. Walter is great and they have awesome customer service. Let us know when you get the one you decide on. It is pretty easy to set up but, if you need any help on how to hook it up give me a shout.

Earl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts