The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a iwaki 30RLT running my 55 gallon tank now
it draws from the sump and pushes water through a mech. filter, Chem. filter, two seprate UV sterilizers then back into tank via one return its pushing about 580 gallons per hour...

i want set up a return split to have two returns in opposite directions, to create better water movment, but i dont want to sacrafice the water flow, as it is there is a lot of plumbing now.

My question is can i set up a second pump on the same line? meaning after the UV's the pipe would feed into the second pump thus recharging the water flow then go back to the newly split returns. (the returns would be on a timed electrical ball valve split - water would switch from one to the other every 5-7 sec.)

Thanks to anyone who can help out with this.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
You can't just put a second pump inline. It would also be restricted by all of the inline filtration and plumbing placed before it. Restricting the input side of a pump is always a bad idea. It would also increase the flow through the filters rendering them less effective.

Filtration and circulation should be accomplished separately. I'd leave the filter system as is and look into some powerheads or wavemakers for the tank. A closed loop with an Oceans Motions or similar would also work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts