The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running 2 mag drive 7 for return pumps. After work yesterday, came home and 1 of my pumps wasn't running.....Lucky for me nothing bad happened.......so i took pump out of water...gave the old TAP TAP trick and it started working.....ran it in fresh water for 10-15 min..and seems to be working fine..........

Just intrested in what you guys think ?.. Going on a cruise in mid march and need to make sure everything is working properly before i leave..

should i replace pump..??
what other brands >.??

135gl tank
eshopps dual 1or 3/4" external overflow

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
These pumps are pretty popular, and do have 3 year warranties. I've had problems with them in the past, and usually what happens is the impeller or impeller housing gets worn. Take the impeller out and inspect it... i think it should have a hexagonal opening in the housing for the circular impeller to sit in. If it's worn to a round shape, the impeller will get hung up and sit there. I had this happen to a 34 month old mag 18, and Danner sent me a new one at no charge. Give them a call if you're still under warranty.

Otherwise, if you're just wanting to replace it, I'd recommend an Eheim 1262. Much higher quality pump, though the mag drives are pretty robust.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eheim 1262, is it adjustable..??.....a bit pricey but don't wanna have problems again while I'm gone.......the mag 7s keep up perfect with my overflow, don't want something over powering.

How do you feel about 1 mag7 and 1 Eheim 1262?
just a little on the expensive side to buy 2

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Agreed with Geoff, check for calcium deposits first. Clean with vinegar if you find any.

Eheims rule. They are the only submersible pumps I run; dead quiet & bulletproof.

Is it completely necessary to run 2 pumps? Can you tell us a little more on how it's plumbed? Pics?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have pics posted in Tank specs thread.........Have Eshopps Dual over flow, 35gl sump. the 2 return pumps are submerged in the end of sump, with 2 3/4" clear tubes for return lines...

gonna clean it again....but went home today during lunch and everything was fine....

My theory behind 2 pumps is if one fails, there will be at least one working. maybe I'm wrong.?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
You usually don't want to mach your overflow exactly tho. You never know when a snail will partially block the pipe or you get an algae/coralline buildup that you don't notice.

I will run another pump when I know I'll be away for more than a day, just in case I have a pump failure. Normally I just have the one. The tank will be fine during the day if I lose flow while I'm at work. More than a day I know the tank will get too cold at night and may have gas exchange issues.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
My theory behind 2 pumps is if one fails, there will be at least one working. maybe I'm wrong.?
Not wrong at all. It's the same reason why I run two return pumps. Why run one large pump and split the plumbing to feed two returns? Better to run 2 smaller pumps and have some redundancy.

Think of how different this post may have been if you came home and found your one and only return pump not running? I say stick with the two pumps and just give them a good clean and inspect.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
think that's the plan. gonna pull them one at a time and clean the REALLY good before i leave for vacation. still may get a Eheim, but well have to see if any more issues arrive before March 15th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts