The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The overflow of the tank i want is rated for 600gph. I am estimating about 3 to 3.5 head feet for the return. I was recommended a mag7 but someone else. I have an oppprtunity to get a mag7 for 20 bucks. I already said i would buy the pump. Now someone said that the mag7 would not be enough. What does anyone else think? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Pump

Hmmmmmm, not sure since I don't use an internal for my system and, as such, haven't done the research. But I heard of people running Mags, having them die and losing their entire livestock. I would do a web search on Supreme Mag pumps or Danner pumps as they are also known. See what people are saying about them. Maybe also do a searrch on "aquarium internal return pump".

Does anyone else have a recommendation for Rob on an internal pump that rates high on the reliability/survivability scale?

xrobbx03 said:
so you really dont think the mag7 is worth it. I think i decided to just run an internal pump. What would you suggest Chuck?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Internal I would go eheim. I have used a Mag 9 on a return for my 75 when my Little giant pump was offline being cleaned. The overflow handled that fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For internal I like the Sedras but the 1200 will be too much, the 700 or 900 would be more than enough for that tank.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
xrobbx03 said:
how many gph was your overflow rated for? How big was your sump?
It was a 75 gallon RR AGA so it was rated for 600gph. I have used both a 20 long and a 30 gallon tank as a sump under the 75.

I have never used quiet one pumps, so I can't comment on those.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I asked the same question in another forum and before i mentioned any pumps someone recommended that quiet one 3000. heres what they said. Also has previous post from someone else talking about mag pumps.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by drew2005
Mag Drives are great pumps. I would go with a Mag 7(700gph) and fit a ball valve on the return line to regulate the return. Ive had the Mag 5(500gph) on my 46 gallon and its going strong for more than a year now. Do some shopping online and you can most definitely get it for $60-$70 maybe less.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

incorrect... your head loss with this pump at 3' with a single ball valve and only 1 90deg elbow you return only 509 gph. your sump would overflow.

you could put the ball valve on the drain line to regulate tho overflow of water but that is tricky to do correctly measured.

with the specification you gave your best bet is a quite one 3000- 1" return tubing and 2 90degree elbows with one ball valve(which is not recommended for use on single return line ,restricting direct pump flow.)
Total losses are 3.76 feet of head pressure, or 1.63 PSI. with a flow rate of 600 GPH

but then again JUST MY OPINION

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
pump

That depends on the overflow and at what level you want to keep your water in your display tank. I can adjust my return pump so that the water is just trickling into my overflow but that creates 3 undesirable effects:

1. My water level is too low in my display and as a result there is an empty space between the top of the water and the moulding around the tank...not a big problem but just not my preference.

2. You may not get the required number of tank turnovers per hour that you want. This could cause more detritus and other waste to fall to the bottom of the tank as opposed to staying suspended in the water column or at the surface of the water. That in turn cases sub-optimum filtration if your skimmer is in the sump.

3. No extra flow is available for an add-on frag tank and/or refugium or other specialized tank.

Remember, in engineering something you never want to "just make it work". You always safer if you leave some margin for unknown variables.:)

xrobbx03 said:
Yeah I know what you mean. But looks like what that guy said would work wouldnt it? Even if it were a little under the 600gph mark it should be fine right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts