The Reef Tank banner

Does your return GPH match your skimmer capacity?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My 60 gallon return matches my skimmer. For my 20 gallon My retrn will be around 250 GPH and my skimmer will be a ASM G1-X (not sure on GPH) so the GPH of my skimmer will be higher. The thing to worry about is the higher your GPH the easier it is for microbubbles to get into the display. I think a CLS would probably be a better bet. They can be done pretty easy. In fact I am going to make one this evening with a spare Mag 5 I have laying around.

·
11,345 Posts
It does on one tank (by default, not intentionally,) not even close on the other. If i tried to match the skimmer to the sump on my tank with the 100 gallon sump it sim-pl;y wouldnt be enough flow through the sump, as well as cut a couple thousand gph of flow that i like in the display.
I think the skimmer is going to grab and process the same amount of water no matter hjow fast the stream it is taking it from is going. However, i do like to set my sumps up so that my skimmers pick up the water from the drain and release it on the other side so it is skimming new drain water that hasnt just been skimmed. Does that really matter???? Probably not.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Fly Guy said:
It does on one tank (by default, not intentionally,) not even close on the other. If i tried to match the skimmer to the sump on my tank with the 100 gallon sump it sim-pl;y wouldnt be enough flow through the sump, as well as cut a couple thousand gph of flow that i like in the display.
I think the skimmer is going to grab and process the same amount of water no matter hjow fast the stream it is taking it from is going. However, i do like to set my sumps up so that my skimmers pick up the water from the drain and release it on the other side so it is skimming new drain water that hasnt just been skimmed. Does that really matter???? Probably not.
I agree! JMO!
Brent.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i feel that water going by the skimmer is wasted flow through the sump. there is a much greater chance that water will not be skimmed for a very long time if it is able to always go by the skimmer. i guess the same can be said for a CLS, but the percentages will be better if all the water that goes through the sump is processed instead of some.

also the greater the flow through the sump the harder it is to keep the tank quiet.

G~

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geoff said:
i feel that water going by the skimmer is wasted flow through the sump. there is a much greater chance that water will not be skimmed for a very long time if it is able to always go by the skimmer. i guess the same can be said for a CLS, but the percentages will be better if all the water that goes through the sump is processed instead of some.

also the greater the flow through the sump the harder it is to keep the tank quiet.

G~
Hmm, interesting, but here is my take on it.

I have a 120g. Let's say my skimmer does 500gph. That means that at best, if I funneled ALL the water through the skimmer , I'd be skimming my water 4.16 times per hour. BUT since the water goes into the sump and churns around and the skimmer may or may not pick it up, that number is probably smaller. Do we think that the total percentage of water that gets skimmed in the tank increases by slowing down the water going by the skimmer? I'd say if you slow it down you may actually end up reskimming the same water in the sump correct? Possibly leaving more unskimmed water in the tank itself? That's how I'd perceive it? I darn well could be wrong. :D

Sean

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
My skimmer pump is a mag7 and my return pump is a little giant 2 series around 440 gph on my 72gallon tank.

Personally i think a kick butt skimmer with a good pump and slow flow in the sump is better. IMO the slower flow in the sump will allow the skimmer to skim that water really well before it gets pushed back up into the tank.

I know other disagree with my thoughts but i know many that do.

Tim

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Skimmers are no where near 100% efficient. They are more like 60 to 80% and that is for really good skimmers, a seaclone is about 10% efficient and a really good very powerful recirc might be 80% this could easily be tested with a drop in style TDS meter for readings before and after the skimmer.

My return pump will actually out flow my skimmer but I have a ball valve on it to adjust it so it doesn't. I have about 2900GPH going through my skimmer and about 2600GPH going through my return pump. These are just guestimates.

I (like fly guy) also have my sump set up so the skimmer deposits the water into another chamber and that chamber over flows back into the skimmer chamber to be run back through the skimmer. I want to keep the recirculation through the skimmer to a minimum but I (like Gee-Off) also don't want to risk having the water flow back to the tank with out being processed. I think it is a waist for the water to go to the sump with out being processed.

So in my system it is impossible for any water to be returned to the system with out first being processed by the skimmer and I feel with ~2600GPH (~7.5X total water volume) going through my sump and ~2900GPH (~8.3X total water volume) going through my skimmer I am getting the best use of my sump and skimmer as I can get.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Maybe it's got more to do with how your sump is set up. My old sump didn't have a separate compartment to return skimmer water and it picked up the same water that mixed with what was in the sump already. I'm picking up a new sump which will have two compartments, one that the skimmer pump will pick up the overflow water and a second compartment that will take the processed skimmer water. I think that depending on what you have may make the difference. Did that make any sense?

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
Skimmers are no where near 100% efficient. They are more like 60 to 80% and that is for really good skimmers, a seaclone is about 10% efficient and a really good very powerful recirc might be 80% this could easily be tested with a drop in style TDS meter for readings before and after the skimmer..

there is a TDS meter for salt water?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
PelagicMagic said:
there is a TDS meter for salt water?
I don't see what the differance would be. if there are less TDS it will show that.

Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
My return for the 150 is 825 gph The skimmer pump is 1195 gph. The tank drains into the first chamber in the sump which is also the same chamber the skimmer pump pulls from. The skimmer also dumps skimmer water back into the same chamber of the sump. Being that the sump flow is relatively low, the skimmer has a chance to grab water over again as its stays in the same chamber somewhat after it is skimmed. This will provide somewhat of a loose recirculating effect. I dont use the sump for flow. It is for skimming, heating and carbon. The skimmer pump is pushing two becketts so the flow through the skimmer is reduced form the pump rating but the return has some lift so it is lower also. Overall it is an efficient set up and will process the tank water thouroughly before returning it. I dont see much reason in putting more through the sump than will get skimmer unless you cant add power heads or a closed loop for flow. I like to return clean water to the tank!

Robert

1 - 20 of 46 Posts