The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my new 40 Gal. tank and was wondering, were or how is the best placement of my return from my sump. This tank will have assorted corals and some softies. Should I run pvc from the pump and have it pump to several diffrent areas and levels of the water column. Or should I just use the piece it came with that just hangs over the top and spits out in the one spot up high? Could I pump the water from the sump to enough diffrent spots to reduce the usage of power heads? The tank is a corner tank, I have a mag drive 5 pump 500gph. Any input on this is appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would suggest (and I am far from an expert) a two way split from the return pump to direct flow from the center top to the corners. Unless you have a need for high flow this might be enough. You can even get fancy with the mag 5 and run it into a SCWD (Squid) and then into two seperate returns in the tank. That will provide alternating current. I use something like this with my Closed loop.

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

For instructions on the closed loop.

In your situation you would simply build the SCWD to return portion. No need to build the intake portion.

HTH
George

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
for returns you want it to go over the top and then in to the tank. if not than you run the risk of the sump overflowing during a power outage. i have mine over the top than split in the middle. i also drilled a 1/8" hole just below the water line so that when i turn off the pump the holes will be siphon stops and keep the tank from draining into the sump.

G~

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
return

I understand that it has to go over the top. But should it be released at the top or lower in the tank?
I like the one in the link above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts