The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been messing with my return pump and overflow for a little while now and something seems wrong. I don't seem to be getting the flow I would expect. The return pump is a Eheim 1260 and the head height is probably 4'. Currently I have the ball valve almost completely closed to avoid the DT from overflowing. If I get anywhere near half open the DT fills up faster than it can drain.

I inherited this tank by virtue of my girlfriend who in turn purchased it from a friend who had originally purchased it from some dude like 5 years ago... so I question whether it is even setup correctly. Originally the overflow box had a Durso standpipe which barely fit, at that time the overflow had a flushing sound unless the return was turned way down. Even then the overflow was still louder than I liked. I recently converted to a gurgle buster standpipe and this helped with the noise but the overflow still seemed restricted.

I have a EShoppes R-100 sump/refugium and I am using their 1" return hose that goes in to 1" bulkheads, the hose has white inserts that slip in to a 1" bulkhead. The bulkhead in the tank is in the very bottom left corner and the stand pipe is mounted off an elbow that is pressed in to the bulkhead.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I can post pics later if needed.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Pics would really help. You disn't say waht size standpipe you have but a 1" standpipe should easily keep up with a 1260 pump, or even a 1262. I use a 1" Stockman standpipe with a Water Blaster HY-5000 return pump at about the same headloss and it even keeps up with that. Does the overflow have any restrictions, elbows, fittings or anything like that in it? Does it have an air intake to get the proper mix of water and air for best flow?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, you pointed me in the right direction. After messing with the gurgle buster I think I figured out the issue. I looks like I was letting in to much air, the tube I used was slightly bigger than recommended. For now I just partially covered the tube and now the eheim is wide open, a bit noiser now but I can deal with it until I can rebuild it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The air/water balance is critical to a good overflow and makes a huge difference in both flow and noise. Once you get the right ratio it can be dead silent and flow like crazy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just used tube I had since I didn't think it was that crucial but I guess I was wrong :)

Last night I ended up sliding in a smaller tube in to the larger tube to restrict the airflow. The flow is great now but you can definitely hear the tube sucking in a lot of air which is somewhat noisey. Is this working like it should or should the whole thing be absolutely silent?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
On my Stockman and Maggie Muffler both I drilled a hole so a piece of airline tubing fits snugly in the hole. I cut a piece of airline tube a foot or so long, insert it in the standpipe cap andadjust it up or down until I achieve the proper mixture. Its amazing how much the level goes up or down and the sound likewise until you get that balance then it just takes off when its right. I then tuck the open end of the tube over the back of the tank or somewhere it won't drop in the water or get plugged.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is basically what I ended up doing once I restricted the airflow a bit, and you are right a very small adjustment really changes the water level. I'll have to mess with the tube height tonight to see if that helps.

With the tube over the back of the tank are you worried at all about an overflow if the return gets obstructed in anyway? It was my understanding that if for whatever reason the water level went above then end of the air tube it would block the airflow and create a strong siphon in the larger holes and prevent the tank from overflowing. With the tube out of the tank the airflow would never be blocked.

Do you have some other method of overflow protection? Should I even worry about this?

Thanks again for your responses, they have been very helpful so far!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
What I ended up doing was thread the airline tube through two of the overflow box teeth and leave the end inside the overflow box which has a black acrylic cover on it. Its out of the way and I don't hear any sucking sound out of the tubing that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts