The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
any pump can be restricted, but dont restrict it to much or else the pump will have to work harder, and may have a shorter life. I am plumping challanged so I dont know what a ball valve is .

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I would think that restricting the output would shorten the lifespan of the pump and cause more heat output. I could be wrong though, cause I've never done it, but it seems like that would make sense :confused:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
If you look at the mag Charts for the out put of the device you will notice a head pressure chart the higher you have to pump the water the lower the ghp of the pump. A ball valve is noting more than a lot of head pressure on a pump. as previously stated do not put it on the intake side of pump.

I run two on my mag 12 on the pump tee's then a ball valve to the return and another to the chiller and UV.

Remember to open and close them once per week or they will freeze up from the salt and you will have problems. the return to my tank will not close all the way because I did not do this.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
hng said:
I would think that restricting the output would shorten the lifespan of the pump and cause more heat output. I could be wrong though, cause I've never done it, but it seems like that would make sense :confused:
Youre partly correct! If you restrict the pump on the intake, that is when you are making the pump work to hard and it will have a shorter life. Restricting the output is just as stated above, mechanically adding head pressure.

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts