The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little yellow polyps just wouldn't stay where they were supposed to. I would find them all over the tank in various dark corners. The first time I tied them with one piece of thread, the second time two pieces, and they still got away. I've just glued them to a piece of slate. Wish me luck....:beer:

·
11,345 Posts
They will be fine.

I think in another glue thread you satrted a while back I said that even though I am a professional flyfisherman, and tie my own flys(and fly my own ties), i cant tie those **** things in place and have it work for me.

Super Glue...a little dab'll duya

·
11,345 Posts
I like to take my dremel and make an appropriately sized hole about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep where im going to put the coral, then on the rock(dry rock if possible, not dead dry but go ahead and rub the spot with a towel....it helps)
allow the glob of glue to set for about 30 seconds or so before placing the coral on it. Try to dab the end of the coral you are going to glue dry and if it is still wet or dripping water and or slime, hold it upside down for a few or use a qtip to catch the excess water/slime or it will mix with the glue and dilute the sticking power. Its also not a bad idea to put a dab of glue on any openm wounds you may have created or see, it kind of makes a band aid so algae and critters cant so easily get inside and do any damage.....

That is for stonies or lps skel;etons etc...

for softies the key is just to allow it to set and then just make sure you dont put it in a high flow area as you are just trying to give a day or two to stick on its own.

In either case, keep in mind that the glue will kill and burn what it touches so you really want to be fairly precise about where you are getting it...zoos, fo rinstance ar pretty tough, but if you get that glue in their mouth or on a signifigant amount of their body they are toast........

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
tashier said:
I've been using superglue to hold down my frags. Sometimes I get it the first shot, sometimes I seem to glue them 40 times before they hold. Anyone have any recommendations?
try to get both surfaces dry, dab em with a towel, sometimes helps, other wise, just hold them longer in place till it sets.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Another key is to use the gel variety of super glue - works sooooo much better than regular liguid super glue. As people said above, try to get both parts as dry as possible.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just make sure the rock doesn't have a big sponge on the bottom, EEEWWWWW! IN my early days, I grabbed hold of one and it was gross. THEN I pulled it out of the water for one of these attachments....dead sponge, nice ammonia spike.:doh:

Fly Guy said:
I like to take my dremel and make an appropriately sized hole about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep where im going to put the coral, then on the rock(dry rock if possible, not dead dry but go ahead and rub the spot with a towel....it helps)
allow the glob of glue to set for about 30 seconds or so before placing the coral on it. Try to dab the end of the coral you are going to glue dry and if it is still wet or dripping water and or slime, hold it upside down for a few or use a qtip to catch the excess water/slime or it will mix with the glue and dilute the sticking power. Its also not a bad idea to put a dab of glue on any openm wounds you may have created or see, it kind of makes a band aid so algae and critters cant so easily get inside and do any damage.....

That is for stonies or lps skel;etons etc...

for softies the key is just to allow it to set and then just make sure you dont put it in a high flow area as you are just trying to give a day or two to stick on its own.

In either case, keep in mind that the glue will kill and burn what it touches so you really want to be fairly precise about where you are getting it...zoos, fo rinstance ar pretty tough, but if you get that glue in their mouth or on a signifigant amount of their body they are toast........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts