The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everyone has made an impulse buy and 9 out of 10 times they turn out fine. Well I made my first impulse buy last weekend (Cirripectes Stigmaticus) and now the struggle is on to keep this creature prospering in my tank. Its basically a red striped with blue tint Lawnmower Blennie(yes he's stunning). Sadly it wasn't until after making the purchase that I started doing some research. From what I've read and the responses gathered from some fish experts(Marini,Skinner) that these fish have never been known to accept prepared foods. So now I'm stuck trying every trick out there to get him to eat prepared foods, or hoping that my tank can produce enough micro algae to keep him prospering. I could take him back to the LFS for credit or I could trade him to someone with an even larger tank. These two options don't change the fact that I should have done my research before hand.

Caveat emptor

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Oh how I agree. You cant always trust an lfs. I have always researched my coral but now the fish and am regretting that. I love my scooter/dragonet but he is a little more work to care for but its worth it. In the future I will research fish and then research some more!

·
Registered
300 Posts
yup, my impulse buy fish was p*ssing me off last night. I bought a diadema dottyback on impulse about 5 or 6 months ago. He's been doing fine. But when I put in my new six line wrasse last night, he wouldn't leave him alone. He chased him around for about 30 minutes then finally gave up and went to bed. He doesn't bully my clown around, but the clown was there first. My diamond watchman and now my six line both seem to be a little scared of him, so I think I may have to trap the little bugger and banish him to a different tank.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i read an interesting tip to try. if you have an old goniopora skeleton lying around it would be perfect, but another small piece of LR should work also. what you do is make you a bunch of blendermush. use more algae than normal for this buy, but i do not think it will really matter, since it is the scraping that the blennie really wants to do.

spread a bit of blender mush on the skeleton. make sure it sticks. then stick it in the oven for about 10min so it sticks on the skeleton really well. let it cool than stick it in the blennies territory. it should find the skeleton and start scraping the food off of it. i do not remember where i read this, but it seems like it would work with your blennie. i believe it works with most non planktonic feeders that seem to need to pick at the LR in order to find food.

good luck,

G~

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
any chance this guy would pick at macro algae? should be easy to find some nice leafy stuff for him. other than that, sorry for your throubles and i hope he comes around. over feed your tank, should get some algae that way. and would you care to elaborate on "caveat emptor"

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
leveldrummer said:
any chance this guy would pick at macro algae? should be easy to find some nice leafy stuff for him. other than that, sorry for your throubles and i hope he comes around. over feed your tank, should get some algae that way. and would you care to elaborate on "caveat emptor"
buyer beware

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leveldrummer said:
As it stands no luck on any Macro algae. I'm going to give Geoffs tip a try this weekend.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I cant find the place now but I also saw one of the online stores sell pods. Seems crazy but maybe putting them in fuge or something could boost pod populations.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts

Found in coastal reef flats with rich coral and algae habitats, usually in very shallow depths of a few meters (Ref. 48636); also on rocky and coralline structures; among Acropora and Pocillopora corals of surf-swept algal ridge.

there are a few pellets that are made for algae eatting fish. if nori does not help and geoff's idea does not work , i woudl try it. it may take a little bit beofre he goes for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts