The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Been keeping FW tanks for awhile, currently I have a planted 50gal bowfront but wanted to try something new, so (after a bit of forum-lurking the last few weeks) yesterday I picked up a Biocube 14. Today liverock went in. It has a relatively shallow bed of coarse sand under the rock. Only other mods have been adding a second powerhead (Rio 180 which I'm just not happy with the placement of) and taking out most of the Bioballs and replacing them with liverock rubble. A pic below.

The liverock is all from a recently broken-down reef brought into my local fish store and it's covered with various critters; lots of shiny coraline and some short filamentous stuff which ought to be good munchies for my clean-up crew when they come in, sometime in the next week or three.

There does seem to be a problem with my actinic though, it starts up just fine but within a minute or two of running, it really flickers quite a bit. This is the case regardless of which socket (and hence, which ballast) the bulb is plugged into. Took it back to my LFS and in one of their hoods it didn't appear to do that, although they only checked it for fifteen seconds or so... Is this a known issue with the Biocube or does this just sound like a bad bulb? I don't want to get into a fight with the LFS on day 1 of this hobby unless I have to, hehe. I stuck a quick video down below in case that makes it clear what's up.

Stats as of day 1: (Any other chemistry I need to be tracking here?)
pH 7.4-7.8 (stupid inaccurate test strips)
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
KH 143ppm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and oh god I'm so sorry for somehow managing to post this thread three times. I lose at the internet. :( If a mod would be so kind as to nuke the other two I'd really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
...and oh god I'm so sorry for somehow managing to post this thread three times. I lose at the internet. :( If a mod would be so kind as to nuke the other two I'd really appreciate it.

No Problem and welcome to TRT :wavey:

·
Nano junkie
110 Posts
Hi Req,
I have a 12g nano cube and my one of my actinic bulbs does this from time to time.
I'm thinking it's a bulb issue and not the ballast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts