The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been out of the hobby for a while (about 2 years due to a move to GA) but I am ready to get back into it. I am interested in a 46 Bow Front, however, the LFS tells me I cannot get this with a non-tempered bottom or in his words reef-ready. The 46 BF is really the perfect size and shape. I am considering removing the bottom plastic frame (carefully) and then removing the bottom and having the local glass co cut a new piece and some holes in it for the overflows and the returns. How much thicker should the untempered glass be? Thoughts and comments on this idea?

Also, how many holes and what size would everyone have drilled? I am thinking 2 drains and 2 returns - one set for a low flow sump and the other for a higher flow closed loop.

Lastly, does MegaFlow make an overflow for this height of setup?

Thanks in advance,
J

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Is the back drillable? You coud build a wall to wall overflow with one or two holes depending on the flow. Or an almost wall to wall with room on the side(s) for the return(s) through bulkhead(s). The return does not need to be deep only 3-4 inches. I'm building a frag tank with an external overflow weir box, look at it but think of the box on the inside. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure you get a price quote from glass company .....you may change you mind afterwards. The cheapest way would be take bottom in and have them temper it (holes have to be cut first).

If it has trim around it now, you'll have to use the same thickness it came with or it won't fit back into your frame. If it's 1/4" you can go up to 3/8" if you can make it work with new frame or however you were going to do it. It will probably be close to the same price for 1/4" tempered as it would be 3/8" annealed glass.
It doesn't have to be reef ready. I have a 72 gallon bow front that wasn't reef ready and I've had it 10 years so far. It has 125# of rock and no sump. We have lps and leathers.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to have a 110 gallon tank with the overflows exiting the rear. This was the source of 80% of the noise. I was able to reduce pump vibration noice, etc with dampeners and a sealed back (on the stand). I would like to avoid back drains so to avoid the noise problem and having the drains on the bottom will allow me to place the tank closer to the wall.

Also, if I do this, I would very much like to do this to a used tank to reduce costs. I will call and get prices tomorrow and update the forum then.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Any place there is a drain, it will make noise, you can quiet them w/DIY durso or gurgel buster. Hope you get some good prices!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I personally would just go with a standard sized reef ready 65 if you are looking for a good reef ready tank that is approximatly the same size. This could save you a good bit of money and plenty of headaches.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
I personally would just go with a standard sized reef ready 65 if you are looking for a good reef ready tank that is approximatly the same size. This could save you a good bit of money and plenty of headaches.
I agree! Much less headaches!

·
Administrator
47,223 Posts
Hello,
I've been out of the hobby for a while (about 2 years due to a move to GA) but I am ready to get back into it. I am interested in a 46 Bow Front, however, the LFS tells me I cannot get this with a non-tempered bottom or in his words reef-ready. The 46 BF is really the perfect size and shape. I am considering removing the bottom plastic frame (carefully) and then removing the bottom and having the local glass co cut a new piece and some holes in it for the overflows and the returns. How much thicker should the untempered glass be? Thoughts and comments on this idea?

Also, how many holes and what size would everyone have drilled? I am thinking 2 drains and 2 returns - one set for a low flow sump and the other for a higher flow closed loop.

Lastly, does MegaFlow make an overflow for this height of setup?

Thanks in advance,
J
When I had 2x1" bulkhead holes drilled in the back of my 75, I had the shop my son worked at do it with their diamond drill, NO GUARENTEE for $20
Before you pull the trim off, I would seriously shop the job of cutting a new bottom piece around(with holes drilled), I suspect that if you do a standard reef ready tank will start looking good, or drilling the back and doing a coast to coast (better IME) is not a bad option either

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called 3 glass shops today. Got two prices - one place never caled back. Using the bottom as a guild, they would create template and ship it out to another place that is able to temper the glass. They will cut out the glass (1/4" thick) and drill (2) 1.5" holes, then temper the thing.

Total cost is about 100 dollars.
<O:p</O:p

Has anyone ever removed the trim on the bottm of a tank? If so, how did / would you do it? What is the smallest bow front reef ready that is mass produced? My wifes only request is that the tank not take over the living room (her words). She has "approved" the 46 bow front and did not like a 65 reef ready...

Thanks guys.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think the only standard reef ready bow front aquariums are the 72 and 155. Those are 4' and 6' respectively. I personally do not like curved glass aquariums due to the distortion of the curve. This makes it especially hard to take photos so if you are interested in photography I would look at a standard sized aquarium.

Do you know specifically what your wife didn't like about the standard 65? If it was trim color or something there are a few trim color options.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey All,
I contacted marineland to see if there was a method to determine the difference between an all-glass 46 Euro or a Perfecto 46 euro and the reason I needed to know - here is the response I got:

Hello,
Our glass aquariums are manufactured by Perfecto. The 46 gallon Euro
aquarium manufactured by Perfecto would have two tempered panels. That
would be the bottom panel and the front panel. You would be able to
contact Perfecto at 1-800-241-7485 or you could contact All-Glass at
1-800-255-4527.
Thank you,
United Pet Group

It seems their customer service contradicts the website. I have replyed back and sent them a link to their own website. I guess we will see where this goes.

J

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright,

I finally got a 46 gallon bow front - good price...I got a stand (not really nice) and the tank for $65.00. I have been doing some thinking about replacing the bottom with glass. If I replace the bottom with say 1/2" acrylic I could easily drill the holes myself. I might have a line on some scrape acrylic, if so, about $70.00 to get it (I know scrape should be free).

I am worried about the adhesion of the glass to the acrylic, is that a big deal in anyones experience? I suppose I could even use 3/8" and make sure my stand supports it all over the bottom.

Anyones views?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts