The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience on removing the plastic frame off a tank. I have a small tank I thought I would cut down a few inches to make a sump and so it will fit in my tank stand.

·
11,345 Posts
take a block of wood and a rubber mallet. a hammer will work too but just be careful to never make contact with the glass...rubber mallet preferred.
put the block of wood up against where the plastic meets the glass and gently tap it up.

Are you going to take it apart and cut the panes and reassemble it?? Or is it one of those acrylic tanks with a plastic lip????

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I'm not sure the tank will be able to stay intact under the pressure of the water if you remove the frame. Maybe someone has firsthand experience with this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No my hair brain idea is to remove the frame, cut the glass down and put the frame back on.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Oh, OK. Sounds like it would work, but seems like a lot of work to me. Sure you can't find a rubbermaid the size you need? I'm lazy!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a hang on the tank skimmer and I am afraid that the sides of a rubbermaid will collapse under the weight. I am lazy and cheap.

·
11,345 Posts
FWIW, the time it will take to takle apart, cut and reassemble the tank properly so it wont leak you would be much better off finding a used one in the classifieds or even ordering one the size you want. Ive fixed a leaky glass aquarium before and it requires everything you are planning on doing besides the cutting part.(which is by far the easiest part IMO).
Major PITA.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
You will have to replace the trim but any petstore can order it. Find out what brand tank you have and go from there. Good Luck ! :)

·
11,345 Posts
dough said:
I have a hang on the tank skimmer and I am afraid that the sides of a rubbermaid will collapse under the weight. I am lazy and cheap.
make a wood frame with 2 x 4's and the rubbermaid wont collapse. Now THERE is a easy solution.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay this was not as easy as I would have thought. Did not get it off, so back to the drawing board or classifieds.

Fly Guy, you a fly fisherman? That is my first passion, just wish I could do it more often.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But I want to reuse it.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
most of the frames will break while you take them off

you really only need to replace it on the bigger tanks
and replacments can be ordered from the LFS

·
11,345 Posts
dough said:
Fly Guy, you a fly fisherman? That is my first passion, just wish I could do it more often.
I am. Just had a baby a few months ago so not so much for personal at this point, but i do have an outfitting business and work the river myself a couple of days a week.

Its a rough job, but somebodys got to do it. :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I just broke my small 10 gallon sump. It cracked where I drilled the bulkhead. I was screwing around with it and moved the pump that is on the bulkhead.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
that sucks,

I'd love to say I've never done that

but I can't

1 - 17 of 17 Posts