The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Reef Geek
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so awhile back I got a frag of star polyps. After reading up about them I learned that they are very easy to grow and can over take a tank. So I placed the frag on a rock and kept the rock away from the main rock structure of the tank. The rock is now completely covered in the polys and they have encrusted on to the bottom of the tank (I run bare bottom). I would like to prevent them from spreading further but not destroy the main colony on the rock.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? I was thinking of using a razor blade to separate the main colony from the bottom of the tank then scraping the remaining polyps off and sucking them up with a siphon. I would just like to keep the one rock with the colony and not have them spread throughout the entire tank...

· Registered
609 Posts
ptrick21186

I'd wear gloves and that should work fine. I've used scissors, scalples and chisels . I would try to do this as simply as possible so as to not send little pieces flying all around the tank. They won't like it and might not open for a while but don't you worry. They will do the same thing again. If you move that rock when you clean you could keep them from attaching and then just trim them as needed. Be carefull and good luck.

4corners

· Captain Obvious
1,190 Posts
if you dont want to save any frags of it.... you can simply kill the areas of growth by making up a batch of kalkwasser. take the kalkwasser powder and add a little water to make a paste. use a syringe to suck up the paste. turn OFF all powerheads and all water movement. squirt the paste on the star polyps you want to kill. let the paste lay there for a couple of hours.

· Registered
39 Posts
if you dont want to save any frags of it.... you can simply kill the areas of growth by making up a batch of kalkwasser. take the kalkwasser powder and add a little water to make a paste. use a syringe to suck up the paste. turn OFF all powerheads and all water movement. squirt the paste on the star polyps you want to kill. let the paste lay there for a couple of hours.
That sounds dangerous to me. I wouldn't have the confidence that I wouldn't destroy everything in the tank. But kudos if you do and it works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.