The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used my sump as a refugium since I started the initial setup. I want to convert the fuge to just a sump, because I want to put a bigger skimmer in the sump.

I have a DSB in the fuge as well as the main tank. I have already removed the lights, and the macro algae. And I have started removing the DSB in the sump slowly.

Today I got a wiff of hydrogen sulfide. :(

So how should I remove this DSB? Is everything in the tank doomed? The fish have been ok up until now, as well as the corals as far as I can tell.

I guess I could remove the sump from the system until I get the sand out?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I would remove the sump from the system until you get the sand out, and then do a big water change of the water in your sump. I have heard stories about people seeing bubbles, smelling sulfer, and then watching in horror as their tank is wiped out.

Good luck to you, and please keep us informed of your progress!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing that keeps it from being easily removeable is the water in it.

I should just take it out of the loop for now I guess. And return it after it is cleaned up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
go get a 5 gal water jug, a pump, and some hose.

remove the fuge from the system...just circulate your tank water with power heads until you're done.

pump the fuge water into the 5 gal jugs until empty
take the sump outside, like someone already said, and spray it out.
reconnection to system
fill with salt water.

whatever you do you need to remove the fuge from the system IMO. you start trying to remove the DSB with it still connected and you are prolly gonna be upset in a day or two..

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have an older DSB and your considering replacing it you should consider removing the livestock which often means a tank teardown. You don't want your livestock in the tank when all that crud in the sand bed gets released into the water column.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah tank teardowns...just tore mine down last weekend....don't ask...something to do with me outta town and 5 girls at my house with their hair dryers all plugged in at the same time :)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Suck out the sand and water with aq wet/dry shop vac while the sump is separated from the system, this will be a good opportunity for a 50% water change. It will also be a good ime to change carbon and run both bags with fresh GAC.

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts