The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as described in the title. I recently picked up a remora pro for very cheap. I got the mag 3 pump for it and it would either not do anything or skim very wet. I looked up some mods to try out and ended up making an extra tall collection cup but after that the mag 3 pump just wasn't powerful enough to push the bubbles all the way into the collection cup. I went and exchanged the mag 3 for a mag 7. Now here's what I'm wanting everyones thoughts and advice on hopefully someone who has or has had the same setup. The mag 7 pump is a little bigger than the already huge mag 3 pump. Plus I know the mag 7 ump may run warmer than the mag 3 as well. I was wanting some ideas on how to set this up. Could I set the pump outside the tank? I would like to avoid having to have the pump hang from the skimmer in the tank because it's a huge eyesore and takes up a considerable amount of space. I thought maybe mount it to the wall outside the tank and run a couple pvc tubes? I've also read that the mag pumps can leak if you set them up inline instead of submersed in tank. Anyone have experience with this stuff? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yep, that is the way to make a Remora work better. Can you imagine a Mag18 :lol:

MagDrives can run externally, but I think they are better submersiable pumps because they tend to run warm (as you have noticed). Heat is the enemy of the pump (like many things heat is not good). You could run it externally. Some teflon tape can shore up the pump's volute does not seal perfectly. However, most Magsdrives seal well. Much better than a maxi-jet. It would reduce the pressure with the elbows but it will still be about as effective. I would say look at using an Eheim 1262 if you go external.

I just could not deal with 70w of energy usage for a HOB skimmer. :lol: But very nice mod work. The mad skimmer mods are enjoying this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.