The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recomend what cartridges I should get for my RO it is a 4 stage unit.

I was thinking 1 micron sediment -->.5 micron carbon block --> 25GPD high S RO ---> DI chamber.

Anyone have any other sugestions?

My second choice would be just to buy a whole new set up for $140.

Reef Aquarium RO DI Reverse Osmosis Water Filter 75 gpd
</IMG>

·
Administrator
46,674 Posts
Things to look for, TDS meter, Backflush kit
Your RO membrane should be good for a long time, esp if back flushed as recommended, the carbon block and sediment filters may need changing at 6-12 months depending on the source water

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
I was looking at that same unit, I dont like the fact that the unit isnt with the clear cartridges and that the seller isnt here in the US. I think the rules might be a lil different when it comes to businesses outside the states. Saw another company called abundant flow water systems and they seemed to have a really good unit. I comes to be a little bit more but the shipping is free.

·
Registered
311 Posts
how do you back flush? .. mine has a little valve but when ever I turn it nothing ever comes out ... how long should I keep that open?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello???? Anyone know? .. what should happen when I turn on the valve? do I disconnect it from the feed line? than turn the valve?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
what a flush kit does is bypass the flow restrictor on the waste line so that waste water will come out full force. Think of the RO membrace as a tube with a hole in the center. The water comes in at one end outside of that center tube which is the membrane. The water needs to be forced into the center. This is accomplished by putting a restriction on the tubing at the other end where the wastewater leaves increasing the water pressure and forcing the water into the center of the tube through the membrane.

Over time deposits build up along that membrane in the center. Flush kit will wash all of these deposits out moving water over it at full force with out the restriction at the other end.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ok so if I turn the valve on that is the back flush .. and nothing happends than there is a problerm correct? .. I should have water flowing out of the waist tube full force?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts