The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving tanks... I am going bare bottom on the main tank.. and will have a deep bed sand filter in a separate refugium.

My current sand bed is 6 yrs undisturbed... and was moved from a prior tank with 4 yrs on it. Nitrates -0

QUESTION:
1. Phosphates - builds up in Sand.. and can ???? release back into the system. Y/N...Maybe
2. Sand - Can the sand be regenerated to remove the phosphates... and then reseeded with live sand... or some of the old sand?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
1. Yes
2. No

Reasons. Phophates bind with CaCO3 readily and cannot be purged of it like rock can. It is simply too small to purge easily, unlike rock. Being so, it loads up and releases suddenly when it cannot hold any more causing a tank crash, often referred to as old tank syndrome.

I would use a scoop of it and a mostly new sandbed for the filter personally....

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
1. Yes

2. Technically maybe, but not worth it. YOu could use GFO and waterchanges to remove most of the PO4 from sand... you would just spend more than you would on brand new sand. The sand may be almost full or it may have years left, so I would go ahead and jsut get new now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.