The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried replacing the pump housing screws with stainless steel marine screws? I really don't want rust in the tank. I guess I can always pull it out and plumb it external. :(

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
hmm...I have a Mag 3, two Mag 7's and a Mag 24. Haven't replaced a screw, none have rusted. The Mag 24 is plumbed externaly and hasn't leaked. The Mag 24 has been in operation for over a year...

You do have to be carefull that you don't over tighten the screws and crack the housing.

·
11,345 Posts
kwjones said:
hmm...I have a Mag 3, two Mag 7's and a Mag 24. Haven't replaced a screw, none have rusted. The Mag 24 is plumbed externaly and hasn't leaked. The Mag 24 has been in operation for over a year...

You do have to be carefull that you don't over tighten the screws and crack the housing.
ive never run one externally but have heard many times that they leak.....as far as the rust thing goes......look a little closer, i bet you find a touch of rust on those pumps youve had a while. Ive never seen them rust up bad but they all do a little bit. But, like i said, i dont think enough to really matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts