The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 2 regal blue tangs. They were from a tank that was not very well. I They run and hide and play dead alot. is this normal? They bury themselves in the rocks so bad they sometimes get stuck and move my big rocks around. Will this change when they get use to my tank? Is this normal? They are about 4" long and I just got them today.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Don't move the rocks. They don't feel safe and are hiding in them. They aren't playing dead either, it's how they sleep when they aren't propped up by rocks. I think about page 24 or 26 of my build thread, I have my learning experience with Tangs. Learned not to move the rocks lol. If you want keep the lights off the first day and let them settle in before poking in and scaring them. Just don't forget to feed them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. They seemed to be out and about more today than the last few days maybe it will just take them a while to adjust.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The **** things ate my new Orange Velvet Mushroom Coral. I was happy cuz it was about quarter size.

What types of coral and sponge can you have with tangs?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After they ate my mushroom I wanted to be careful of what I added. I read that these should be ok because the tangs will not eat them Can anyone confirm that?

1 5 Red Mangroves
1 Cactus Caulerpa
1 Fern Caulerpa
2 Mermaid's Fan

I have 2 huge 7" blue tangs "dori" and 3 smaller 4" yellow tangs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They get 1 TBS of Cichlid Staple from Hikari 2 full romaine lettings leaves placed in the tank about 5 to 7 inches 1 cube of frozen mysis shrimp about 2 tsp of flake food (not sure what kind). every day at 8:00pm

I have 3 yellow tangs about 4" long 3 blue tangs about 6" to 7" long 2 clown fish 1 shrimp 1 blue damsil 25 hermit crabs and 5 margarita snails.

200 gallons of water

They dont look like they are eating it but they wont leave it alone. They pull it up out of the crushed coral. like they are snacking on it.

I read they will not eat the mermaids fan but they keep pulling it up also.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Or add nori into the rotation. I feed my Blue tang and Foxface 2 1" strips of Nori (from the Asian food dept), 2 leaves of Romaine and a pinch of either Marine flake food or a cube of Brine shrimp/squid rinsed daily. It may seem like a lot but my fish are FAT and never bother anything in the tank (other than territory disputes). My tank is also not established enough to have an over abundance of algae growth too so they eat what I give other than forage around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts