The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Refugium

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum but it seems you are able to help people so I was wondering if you had any advice for me. I just ordered a custom 90 gallon tank with a built-in overflow box off-center and to the right. I decided to try a refugium in my sump, so I ordered a 33"x"16"17" glass tank. There is a piece of glass (5" high) dividing the sump at 13" from the left. I plan to make a mesh screen to keep the water from being too turbulent for a 3-4" sand bed and caulerpa algae. I will get some small power compacts to mount under the tank in the stand. If there is anything I am missing or any tips anyone knows on how to run a successful refugium it would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Generally, I like to split the plumbing from the overflow into two, one to the refugium part and one to the sump. Put a valve on each pipe so you can control the flow into the refugium. IMO low flow thru the refugium is good so the little critters are not blasted with water. I also suggest some sort of baffles in the sump section or you may end up with bubbles in the tank. Good luck and WELCOME to TRT. Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey RWD thanks for the advice. The site helped give me some ideas of what to do. I was thinking the same thing about low water flow and will try to do a set up like that. Thank you, Eric

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if it would be better to have the dividing glass higher and have a pump send water to the refugium part from the sump. This way the water can overflow into the sump

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you dont really need another pump, jsut t off from your drain, wil a ball valve so you can limit the flow going into the fuge, and then have it oveflow back into the main sump section.

note: someone pointed out to me, make sure that the fuge, overflows into the sump PAST theskimme,r like right into the return pump area. this way the skimemr doesnt suck up any pods or worms that grow in the fuge and are getting returned to the display tank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i have the water from the overflow box flow into my refugium, wouldn't i also get all the oils and gunk that comes from the surface?

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
You are only going to be running a fraction of the water thru the refugium at any given time say1/4-1/3 the rest will be skimmer proccess and over time it will all get exposure to both the fuge, and skimmer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts