The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best thing to put in the refugiums????

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
abigtroutt said:
bump...I want to know also

I hear its a good place to grow feeder shrimp???we just bought a 24 inch hand on with a built in skimmer????pretty cool???

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear its a good place to trap algae is this right?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Basically you grow macro algae there as a way to absorb nutrients and trim the algae to export the nutrients as they are locked up in the algae. Lots more to clean but a good place for pods. A fuge requires slow flow and lighting. Best if lit revers of the main tank to help stabilize PH. as it will drop in the night or dark hours. You can also reverse light your sump for the same affect on the Ph.

Robert

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so dont leave the light on all the time? just at night? when the moonlights are on on the main tank?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you have to be very carefull which algae to keep in a refuge. if you end up with Caleurpa it can go Holocarp on you and wipe out your entire system. Halimeda can also do this also. you need to stick with Gracilaria spp. if you want to do this.

BTW- if it grows in the refugium, why would it not grow in the display? ;)

G~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheato is the most popular macro. It doesn't go asexual on you. You can usually get it for free from local reefers in your area. A good nutrient exporter, that pods like to hang out in. I always get my hand in it & give a good shake once in a while. Releases all kinds of pods to get pumped to the main tank.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
prugs- Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

when trying to grow macro in a refugium, do not be discouraged if it does not grow. this is a good thing. it means your water column is low in nutrients anyway. the object is to use it for nutrient export. do not feed the tank just to get algae to grow. at some point if you have a SB than the nutrient levels will become high enough to support algae in a refugium.

G~

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
A little on/off topic, but....I used to always cover my overflow w/ styro-foam for two things, sound reduction and to limit light so as not to get so much algae growth in there. I now have a durso so sound is not an issue!

So lately I've been thinking:doh: .......maybe it is good to let the algae grow so it can help "eat/use" up some of the nutrients and then I can clean/export the algae in the overflow when I do my WC.

Seems conceptually light a fudge for export w/ out need for a fudge! Good bad/???:confused:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you are thinking along the lines of what an algae turf filter or ATF is. large plates that are allowed to grow HA and harvested every now and then to remove the bound nutrients. these are a very effective filter if you have a SB.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Mangroves are an interesting filtering method. they are a bit more difficult than you think. i believe it also takes a 10 mangroves per gallon to effectively filter the tank. when growing mangroves it is very important to keep the salt from building up on the leaves. if you do not they mangrove is forced to ditch the leaves. if enough fall off it will die. it is also important to make sure you remove the leaves before they fall into the water. removing the leaves acts as a nutrient export mechanism.

G~

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I say forget an refugium. When I got my 26 gallon used tank, the lady had one full of algae... that may have been what lead to the growth of algae throughout my tank!

I change the water every 5 days now, to lower nitrates, and took out that hideous looking fuge, and my algae is just about gone.

Theyre ugly, and I dont see a point in em if you have good flow and filtration, though Im a newbie.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im wondering the same thing I have a hang on?????and still have algae...although its only 3 weeks ols...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys, im new to this and im gonna try and make a 50 gallon tank. Dimensions will be 36x20x20. I am also going to get a smaller tank that i can pic up from petsmart or petco which ever for like 12 dollars to create a refugium.. Can someone go over in detail on what equipment i will need for the whole system and how you can grow natural food for the fish to eat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts