The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i recently saw that my ammonia was a bit high. I ruled out anything out of the ordinary, so im adding more flow (3 maxi-jets+ sure flow) and im trying to find a way to incorporate a skimmer into my fuge. The fuge is made out of a 20g tank and is almost entirely actually refugium space. The skimmer i have is a huge out of sump one with an insump pump that is rated at 3000gph (its big). MY problem is: i have to get a new fuge if i want a place to put this pump, however all the refugiums i see either are far too expensive or dont offer the refugium space that i currently have. Any thoughts? thanks

sorry for the grammar/spelling but i did this in a hurry

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Well, a skimmer is more important than a refugium in my opinion because it is normally more efficient at exporting nutrients. It sound like your skimmer is a downdraft skimmer. These are effective but normally power hungry because large pump are required to make them work (the reason why a 3000gph pump is needed). I would remove the fuge in preference for the skimmer pump. As for new fuges/sumps, it is better to construct it rather than buying one as most places overprice and undersize their sumps. If DIY sumps are not you cup of tea then I would suggest a company called ADHI. their sumps are wonderful and their prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i built it myself, so i may just go ahead and build another one myself, only bigger..... hmmm To the sketch paper! in the meantime ill swich over to my empty sump and run the skimmer out of there

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yeah...what FutureDoc said:) Seriously tho I do prefer a skimmer over a fuge. Refugiums to me seem like a means of growing out pods and the like for certain fish, like mandarins. Of course they have other uses...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking of using a 27gal or 30gal. should the skimmer section be before or after the refugium. I'd think before so that it didnt kill the copepods, but idk

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
After. Use the skimmer to remove the bulk of the organics and the fuge to clean up the leftovers. Skimmer pull up to a limited percent (although a bit chunk) of the available DOC (dissolved organics compounds). Fuges can really strip water of DOCs but only in smaller total amounts for the average size of most hobbyist fuges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts