The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. Did a quick search on previous posts and was unable to find an answer to my question, which is this: what is a good size for a refugium (percent of display tank size)? As large as feasible, or is there a point of diminishing returns. Also, are pods likely to get too mangled by pumps? Gravity feeding it into the tank is not feasible for me. I might just be using it as a macroalgae production facility, as well as a maximum security detention facility for some bad guys I've got, but don't want to kill (mantis, reef lobster, serpent star). Thanks!

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
I have not heard of any strict rule but a good starting point would be about 1/3 of the tank capacity. Bigger won't hurt. If it is going in the stand then you will probably be limited for space. Bob

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would look at surface area over size. I'm a strong proponent of using 20g long's with tank sizes <100g. Over 100g all depends on the space available. It will all depend on the bioload.

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
I use a 55g as a sump for my 75, but basically whatever you can accomodate in the setup, is better than nothing. Increasing overall surface area and volume is a help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts