The Reef Tank banner

Refugium Kits???

Tags
kit refugium
1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr.Peanut 
#1 ·
Hello Reeftank!

So we are doing pretty well with out 1st saltwater aquarium, thanks to everyone's advice!:beer:

We have a large amount of algea growing and we are hoping to contain it from overtaking everything!!! It is mostly green hair algea but a few bubble algeas are popping up and our peppermints aren't eating them.

What do you guys think about adding stuff to your refugium? Does it help keep the tank clean? Our parameters are all good except for the possibility of slightly high nitrates... although the test got complicated and we could have messed it up. :doh: What do you add down ther? We have a floursent light and some chaeto so far. Also, our blenny keeps jumping into the filter and ending up down there too :confused:

Any suggestions or ways to remove bubble algea??? :help:

#4 ·
lets see if i got this right, you already have a refugium and want to know what to put in it? other than LR and growing macro algae i wouldnt add anything except maybe a small powerhead along the bottom to keep detritus suspended to make it to the skimmer. as far as your hair algae in the DT, what is your water source and what kits do you use to test and what are the numbers.

#5 ·
how often are you siphoning out detritus and doing water changes? it sounds like you are not getting rid of the nutrients as fast as you are putting them in (food). if you plan on keeping the sand i would raise up all of the LR so that it does not touch the sand. this will allow the nutrients to escape from the LR. this will make it easier for you to siphon out the detritus that forms from the rock cleaning itself.

G~

#6 ·
We are doing a 10g water change every 2 weeks and have never siphoned out detritus. We also do not have any LR in the refugium, is it necessary? I guess I didn't post the best pic, that is suppose to be peppered sand and it looks dirty in the pic.

We are buying distilled water right now and using Red Sea testing kits. Testing ammonia, phosphates, salinity which are all in normal range. Calcium is a little low but we are adding boosters. Nitrates might be a little high. The test came out to 10, but I think we might have gone wrong somewhere... Our fish and corals are doing well and beginning to reproduce.

#7 ·
it is important to remove as much detritus as you can whenever you do water changes. detritus contains a lot of phosphates which are the main fuel for algae.

how long has the tank been setup?

if less than a year, i would go ahead and start some deep cleaning of the sand bed to get as much of the detritus out as possible. though you may want to think about replacing the sand bed at some point.

G~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.