The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forgive the inexperience with refugiums here. Would it be good practice to include a DSB in the refugium or would that be non productive due to the DSB attmepting to do the same job as that of the algae. Correct me if i'm wrong, the algae uses Nitrates to create its own plant material whereas the DSB converts Nitrate to Nitrogen gas. Would this mean then that both DSB and algae in the same system would result in starving algae or a pile of do nothing sand. Any help appreciated.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
In a perfect world yes, but the fact is neither are that quick. I think a fuge is perfect for a DSB tank, I would use the fuge BB though, have the DSB in the tank it's such a small sandbed, and the dirtyest water goes thorugh it, I think it would fill up quick. That is unless you want rooted macro in there, in that case a DSB or at least SSB would probably be a good move.

Whiskey

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm a little confused with regard the BB fuge. Would any algae have to root on rock in the absence of sand.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Lets back up for a minute and ask the question, what are you planning to keep in your tank? Is this going to be a FOWLR, a softy reef, LPS reef, SPS reef, or mixed reef? What type of fish/inverts do you plan to keep? The answers to these questions will dictate the answers to your post above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firstly my tank is 40 gallons with a sump of 20 gallons, sump is bare at the moment untill i decide on what is best with regard sump layout design. In the tank I will have in the region of 15 to 20 kg of live rock. I have no plans to keep corals.
Pair of clowns with anemoni, 1 yellow tang, 4 or so hermit crabs. 2 shrimp, type unkown as yet. maybe a starfish. I have a fluval 404 which i plan to use for extra circulation and activated carbon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've just been reading about that, apparently it grows end to end. Better choice than caluerpa < forgive the spelling due to caluerpa suffering from random die back, at which point it releases its collected nutrients back into the water.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
For a fish only tank I think you could have BB refugium with Cheato like Wiskey said. You can always take some of the algie and feed the tang.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not a fan of DSB, there are many thoughts on having a DSB and some say in small tanks they are not effective.
I had in my 15 gal fuge about 5" SB and it went bad in about 2.5-3 years. Started to release something(sulfer) back into the tank and it smelled like rotten eggs. I had to break the fuge down and redo it. I have about 2" in there now and when I do it again I will have a inch or less. I think the pods need some for living. Lots of rubble is fine for macro algae and caluerpa to root on.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
so, what happens if you are not able to keep algae alive. ;)

keeping the fuge BB also will allow it to behave like a true settling tank. this will be a nice easy place to siphon out detritus. if you had a SB there than it would just get absorbed into the sand. not a big deal if you plan on replacing the sand on a yearly basis.

what kind of fish are you wanting to put into the system? i am thinking you have more filtering capacity in that tank than you think. even being light on the LR.

G~

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i like the sound of the BB refuge, easy cleaning of detritus being a bonus.
So, 40 gallon tank with Pair of clowns with anemoni, 1 yellow tang, 4 or so hermit crabs. 2 shrimp, possibly 1 starfish, 20kg live rock, the best skimmer I can afford or make and a 20 gallon BB refuge with cheato, fluval 404 to run acitvated carbon and add to circulation.
Sounds OK to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts