The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses a refractometer? I am considering purchasing one. Does anyone suggest a specific brand? I saw one on ebay made by ATC is this a good brand? TIA

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I think Reefer Addict mentioned them being on e-bay at a pretty good price. I need to get one as they give alot more accurate reading than a hydrometer does!:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use a refractometer.

ATC is not a brand ... it stands for Auto-Temp Compensating ... something generally considered ideal for a refractometer [otherwise you have to compute salinity based on your temp and it's reading].

Which one at ebay? Many have bought there [also would recommend Premium Aquatics] ... mine was an Ebay from National Industrial Supply and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nope, looks just like mine from NIS [off Ebay] though. My Ebay one has a 2 year warranty too, not sure about MyReefCreations ... though just about the same as Premium Aquatics one and price. Amazing how about 6 months ago they were all $100 or such outrageous price and have recently all dropped to reasonable prices. Great for us ....

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I also have one from My Reef Creations and I've compared it to 2 different hydrometers. Both hydrometers are off by at least .oo2 and I've seen one hydrometer that was off by .005... :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts