The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Hows the storm? Well, I think I'm finally going to make the investment in a refractometer. I'm too frusturated at those darn swing-arm hydrometers!!!:mad:
I've ordered a number of things from Marinedepot.com and have had good success. The Refractometers they are offering are made by captive purity. The one i'm looking at is $70. It seems fairly good. Is there any other sources and companies I should look at? Any qualities I need on the refractometer? Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about calibrating it? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to refractometers, i've only used them once or twice. I thought I heard something about certain refractometers adjusting to the temp so that the S.G. is always accurate? :confused:

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's a piece of cake. You calibrate it with DI water to a zero reading. The room temp effects it but not the water temp. You will have this issue with any refractometer though...They are much better than the swing arm hydrometer. My hydrometer was reading 1.022 and the refractometer was 1.026. My first instinct was, this thing sux...it's way off. But then it dawned on me. It's not the refracto moron...it's the hydrometer. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was supposed to get the $50 refractometer today from myreefcreations but due to the hurricane it is delayed until tommorrow. I will post what I think when i get it. I will also compare the results with the high precision salinometer in my lab at school to see what the precision is.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I have the same one MyReef sells but I paid a lot more than $50. That's an outstanding price. They're extremely simple to use and calibrate.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an ATC right? Is that it? How does it compare to the one made by captive purity. It's a low price because of an excellent deal or because of less quality?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kool! Think I'll order it tomorow! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts