The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 12,000K reeflux bulbs any good?? How is the PAR rating compared to the hamilton 14,000K or the Pheonix 14,000K?? On my 75 Gallon tank i have a Sunpod whose 150 watt bulbs need replacing. I already have 2 65W PC ultra actinics on the back of my tank. I plan on having more SPS. What do u guys think??

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I had the Reeflux 12K and really likes them compared to the 14K hamiltons (I had too)
I like the Reeflux better. They really make the blues and greens in the corals POP.

If you look at the test data they do not aappear to be that powerful of a bulb but coralvue has redesigned them since thosae tests.

It was single end bulbs 250w that I had. HTH

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if the double ended are any different?? Did you have any actinic supplementation? I need 150Watt double ended to replace the bulbs in my Current Sunpod... Im really debating on these three as they are pretty well priced at Aquacave.com. I havent really considered the more expensive ones such as Ushio or Iwasaki. And XM 15,000K i heard were not all that good. Im still debating but im leaning toward the Phoenix 14,000Ks

150 Watt Double Ended
Hamilton 14,000k - $59.95 ea.
Phoenix 14,000K - $51.95 ea.
Reeflux 12,000k - $62.95 ea.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Actinic are personal preference for anyone. but you usually do not need them with 14K bulbs.

I did not even use actinics with XM10K

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is is that when i got my supod fixture and put it over my 75 gallon tank it didnt light up the whole tank, i had it in the middle and it left the front and back kinda dark. Thats why i put i light strip with 2 65w ultra actinics on the back and have the supod in the front. Im thinking the reason was because when i bought the supod from my friend for $200 the fixture was about 10-11 months old (he ran them 8 hours a day). Maybe the bulbs had lost their brightness and maybe when i get new bulbs i dont have to use the actinics cuz the new bulbs will actually light up the entire tank. What do you guys think???

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am running the 12K Reeflux bulbs (SE bulbs) and I do like like them .. like sated above they really make the coral pop! .. however .... (there is always a down side .. lol) they are a little on the blue side ....

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I am running the 12K Reeflux bulbs and I do like like them .. like sated above they really make the coral pop! .. however .... (there is always a down side .. lol) they are a little on the blue side ....
FYI;

the reeflux 12.000K DE 150W versions are NOT blue at all. rather white, like a 10.000K bulb.

everybody that claims that they have a blue tint seems to be running the 250W version.

J.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well I think its a known fact that HQI bulbs burn whiter than mogals do IE a 20K HQI is pretty close to a 15K Mogal in color .. why this is the case I dont know ... you can also get more PAR rating out of HQI than you can with Mogals ... however I have had nothing but trouble with HQI bulbs .. this is why I went back to Mogal bulbs .. and I could not be happier ...

BTW my lights are 400 watt .. so

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just have a regular 150w x 2 sunpod. Will the phoenix bulbs really be that Blue?? I dont want to go any bluer than i have right now with the 65 w atcinics. ughhh this is sooo confusing... I was about to order the phoenix bulbs but now that i saw them on urs i think they might be too blue for me.... What are the best bulbs that someone has ised on a Sunpod that doesnt look sooo blue but still makes the corals colors pop????

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I just have a regular 150w x 2 sunpod. Will the phoenix bulbs really be that Blue?? I dont want to go any bluer than i have right now with the 65 w atcinics. ughhh this is sooo confusing... I was about to order the phoenix bulbs but now that i saw them on urs i think they might be too blue for me.... What are the best bulbs that someone has ised on a Sunpod that doesnt look sooo blue but still makes the corals colors pop????
yes, the phoenix buld is pretty blue. some say it's really more like a 20K color specturm, but with great PAR.

the Radium 20K is less blue than the phoenix. it's actually almost white, with a hint of blue. it's a really nice bulb, but i wish it was more blue ;) but, that's just me.

J.

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i was looking at the radium bulbs on aquacave.com and they were $89.95 each. Thats pretty expensive as this is my first time buying replacement bulbs and im really not ready to spend $180 on bulbs... I did hear about the phoneix bulbs having good PAR also. What size tank was ur sunpod?? Did u find it to be a little dark in the tank in some areas?? Like when i have only the halides on in the middle of my 75gallon i find that the front and back areas are kind of dark. Then when i turn the actinics on the whole tank lights up. Maybe ill get the phoenix bulbs and replace my ultra actinics with 50/50s

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
Well i was looking at the radium bulbs on aquacave.com and they were $89.95 each. Thats pretty expensive as this is my first time buying replacement bulbs and im really not ready to spend $180 on bulbs... I did hear about the phoneix bulbs having good PAR also. What size tank was ur sunpod?? Did u find it to be a little dark in the tank in some areas?? Like when i have only the halides on in the middle of my 75gallon i find that the front and back areas are kind of dark. Then when i turn the actinics on the whole tank lights up. Maybe ill get the phoenix bulbs and replace my ultra actinics with 50/50s
my advice is not to skimp on bulbs. There is a huge difference from bulb to bulb

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not gonna skimp on the bulbs but i also dont want to get the MOST expensive bulb out there

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
it's a 24G aquapod.
and i actually raised my sunpod up a little bit (about 2" higher than the standard legs; built a custom acrylic stand for it). that way i get a little more light distribution. and avoid the "spotlight" effect directly under the bulb.

yet there is still plenty of light reaching the bottom, and bleaching my favia/favites there. i still need to shade those.

J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts