The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 29 gallon SPS reef that I have been running a 150 w PFO mini pendant with PFO HQI ballast. I have been running a Phoenix 14k bulb, and was pretty happy with it. However, I was looking to get more color out of my corals. After looking around at a lot of pictures and reading a lot of opinions of the reeflux 12k bulbs, I decided to order one.
anyway, I got it yesterday at put it in, and it is a lot less blue than I thought it would be. The colors on my corals don't seem to pop like I thought they would. Actually, a lot of them look paler than they did before the switch. Some of the blues on my SPS pop a lot, while others are more washed out looking than they were under the phoenix bulb. Anyhow, I have my hood raised up for light acclimation purposes, so I am not sure that my 2 x 24 watt t5 actinics are making any impact on color.
Well, what I am wondering is how will the color change as it burns in over the next few days? Also, can I change the orientation of the bulb to make it more blue? and if I do so, will that cause the PAR to drop significantly?
Any thoughts would be great.
thanks all

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You went more white, of course they wont look like they pop as much. Raise the hood up a little to acclimate. First, you have new brighter bulbs. Two, you went with a more powerful/higher par Kelvin typically. Also, wait for your corals to adjust. Mine looked like crap when I Went from 14k to 10k. But now they look better... though they dont pop like many peoples under 14k bulbs do.

·
11,345 Posts
give it time. It takes a couple months minimum for bulb changes to truly start to be noticable, and although I dont have experience with either of those bulbs, from what i have gathered, Im willing ot bet the TRUE color of your corals will be better than under those hammies ......in time

I will aslo offer dont let your eprception of brightness play a role in how you acclimate. Cut your photoperiod in half........then add 5 minutes a day to get back tow here you and your corals want to be

DO NOT take this for granted. trust me. I recently did and am paying for it and I even switched to a bulb with less par......but signifigantly increased my reflector output.......regardless of the my details, be careful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts