The Reef Tank banner

Reefkeeping made easy- what was not explained.

899503 Views 1783 Replies 195 Participants Last post by  hackshobby
here are a few threads that were started in another forum about what is going on in our system. hopefully some of you all will read the information here and start to get a handle on what makes our systems work or not work. I know this may require some reading and those on the internet are allergic to reading threads that are not theirs, but give this thread a go. I am hoping that it will answer most of the questions you may have about reefkeeping. these first three posts may be a bit disjointed. as they came from the other thread. I will try and edit them so that they flow a bit better and lead into each other better.

the biggest things we will be discussing in this thread are the biological process that are going on in our systems. these biological process are what most of the false information that is out there is about. this includes reef forums and LFS. The two main elemental processes we will be discussing are the Nitrogen and Phosphate cycles that are occurring in our systems. these two elements lead to the greatest confusion about what is going on in our little slices of ocean.

There will be a lot of information in this thread. I will be linking to other threads with even more reading and papers on the subject at hand for even further reading. This hobby is easy if you understand what is going on, if you do not care to understand what is going on and listen to a lot of false information out there, then this hobby can be very frustrating and lots of wasted money.
I would anybody to ask questions if they need clarifications. I will try and keep things as short as possible to keep the reading down to a minimum, but some of this stuff is fairly long winded in general.

G~

UPDATE

A sort of Table of Contents for the thread. please feel free to PM any subjects or pages i should add to the contents.

Introduction: Page 1
Nitrogen cycle: Pages 1-2, 22
Phosphates: Page 3, 31
Sources of Phosphates: Page 3
Phosphate Cycle Graphics: Page 35
Early Tank Processes: Page 30
Problems with Sand: Page 4, 19
Sandbed Cleaning:page 7
DSB's: Page 9
BB Alternatives: Page 25
About LR: Page 8
LR Purging: Page 19, 26
Cured LR: Page 23
Tank Flow: Page 7
Light: Pages 13-15
Kalkwasser: Page 12, 17
Feeding: Pages 17-19
Zoax: Pages 15-17
Carbon Dosing: Pages 24-25
Tank Self Feeding: Page 27
Conservation of Matter: Page 28
Beer!: Pages 6-7
Bad Experts: Page 19
Definitions according to Spanky: Page 21
My Reference Links: Page 37
See less See more
521 - 540 of 1784 Posts
Very interesting, a good summery of information I've read many times about PO4. I've mentioned this on a couple other threads, but it is important. Orthophosphates are detected by most PO4 test kits, but not Phosphors P. Phosphorus P is typically 3X greater than the amount of orthophosphates in our tanks. It only takes .03ppm to cause havoc on SPS corals (I've also read .05ppm), so any reading on a phosphate meter with a .01 resolution is too high.
Finally read it all and wow, I have no prior aquarium experience and almost all the info I used to start my tanks was false. Good info and thanks
Finally read it all and wow, I have no prior aquarium experience and almost all the info I used to start my tanks was false. Good info and thanks
Thats the point of this thread.
Welcome to TRT, and welcome to the "OTHER" side. its better to know how our tanks work, then just people telling us what we need and don't need in them ;)
Thats the point of this thread.
haha so true... just to confuse everyone:thumbup: Possible to believe sand is the devil like Bobby Bushea would say.
haha so true... just to confuse everyone:thumbup: Possible to believe sand is the devil like Bobby Bushea would say.
Lol, Bobby would probably believe that sand was "da devil", cuz his momma told him so! He doesn't know any better.

One of those laws of physics... If you think you're right, you're wrong.
Lol, Bobby would probably believe that sand was "da devil", cuz his momma told him so! He doesn't know any better.

One of those laws of physics... If you think you're right, you're wrong.
Bingo, so much we can't see like bacteria and the cause and effect between them running a bb or a sb. So it is really just good fun on the forums. I think there are a few things we can all agree on in this loooooooooong thread. Running a BB is the easiest system/way to remove poop. Notice that no one says its the best/fastest way to grow corals though which I'm wondering how come, humm must be something with the bacteria population when running a sb but what do I know I'm just guessing:ac7:

I'm hoping G, would start a thread titled "reefkeeping made complex" and talk about all the fun crazy stuff we do to increase coral growth and different other things we all think we know something about but really don't, including the people selling products to the consumers.
I'm hoping G, would start a thread titled "reefkeeping made complex" and talk about all the fun crazy stuff we do to increase coral growth and different other things we all think we know something about but really don't, including the people selling products to the consumers.
That sounds like fun in a shooting range with no boundaries!... Taking things to the Extreme! WOOH!

I'm sure there would be Many Ideas that would "push the laws of reefing", It would definitely be something I would read into!:cool: I'll admit, sometimes it sounds like everyone stayed at a Holiday Inn ::cough::

But when it comes down to it, If you were taught something one way, and someone came and said you were wrong, well, you would argue your knowledge either till you're blue in the face, or have been swayed by the amount of Real Information given to you!

Thank Goodness we have TRT!:agree: I think without this thread, the amount of "confusion" in the air would be at an all time high!

I think the thread should be "edited" somehow and made into
"The Little Guys Reef Book"​

It can be difficult to read a book of Direct Information... Reading a "conversational guide" gives a little more "in depth" information because it is asked in "real conversation" and answered back the same way with the Best Info Ever!:thumbup:

I appreciate the length of time and searching and quoting from everyone to come up with something this informative and real. It covers a WIDE spectrum of things!
See less See more
Well it has taken me a week to get through all this. I am so glad that I decided to get educated before I bought a system, I would have spent way more time/money than is necessary.
Thank you guys for your hours of research and giving it to us straight.
Well it has taken me a week to get through all this. I am so glad that I decided to get educated before I bought a system, I would have spent way more time/money than is necessary.
Thank you guys for your hours of research and giving it to us straight.
glad you read it all through, and yes after reading this thread you can get the concept and plan around that, and save lots of time/money ;)

wish this thread was here when I started, would have saved me a lot! :doh:

some other good threads (inline with this one) too are these:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...-is-detritus-and-where-does-it-go-163806.html

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f77/old-tank-syndrome-article-162779.html

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/current-discussion-lighting-162227.html

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/current-discussion-refugiums-164943.html

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/current-discussion-live-sump-theory-and-setups-165693.html

:beer:
See less See more
i am thinking of listing all of the bookmarks i have that are related to reefkeeping. would anybody be interested in them? some have already been used in this thread, but i have been constantly adding interesting pages as i do research for various topics. just wondering if there is interest in other people reading them.

G~
im sure they would be helpful to just about everyone, i know i would end up reading a bunch of the pages.
at current count there are 84 bookmarks. i am pretty sure there are not any duplicates in there. :D i just cleaned them out a couple of weeks ago.

G~
wow, sounds like youve been doing some work :thumbup:

is there any particular topic that constitutes the majority of them, or are they all different?
i am thinking of listing all of the bookmarks i have that are related to reefkeeping. would anybody be interested in them? some have already been used in this thread, but i have been constantly adding interesting pages as i do research for various topics. just wondering if there is interest in other people reading them.

G~
Hello! What kind of question is that? I feel like a dog at the dog track with someone waving a rabbit in front of me!
It would certainly help us all get on the same page... :D

Geoff, Don't be bogarding all the Good Stuff to Yourself!!:funny: Pass it on! hehe

It might be "too much to ask", but it would be Super Sweet if the bookmarks are sectioned up into "chapters"!

Might have to wait a little longer for it, and someone should probably pay you for the Encyclopedia we're about to receive!;) But would be Super Helpful!

In other words... I'm All For It!:thumbup:
they are on all types of topics related to reefing or the oceans in general. i do a lot of research for anything that i type. i want to be prepared for anybody to ask me to clarify. i try to have references ready for anything that i have said.

i will look at them tomorrow and see if i can start categorizing them. i am sure i will hit the post size limit. i will double check that they are all good before posting. though i am not going to guarantee they will stay that way. some are links to research papers and other synopsis' that seem to change often, but looking up the paper name tends to find it other places. i will try and also create short titles for the links if they do not make sense outright.

G~
actually i have been running around at home and away. have not had as much time to get on here.

G~
521 - 540 of 1784 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.