The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm getting all my tank equipment together to start my first tank. Starting small with only a 20 gallon for now to see if I can manage. I have read up/watched a lot about the ReefKeeper Lite and the security it gives with the temp controls and everything else. I haven't been able to see the complete functionality it has with the wavemaker mode in it. Can anyone give some insight on the abilities? I want to see if I can just use the reefkeeper lite to control the wavemakers or buy pumps with separate controllers.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I used the wavemaker function of my RKL for about 3 years controlling two Hydor Evolution 1400's, switching back and forth every 30 seconds and it worked flawlessly.

About a year ago I switched to Jebao WP-25's which have their own built in controllers and really like the added modes and adjustability the RKL did not have since for the most part 120v AC pumps are On or OFF unlike the Jebao and other DC pumps that can vary speeds and timing b varying the DC voltage.

Other than that I use the RKL for temperature control and alarming for both heaters and fans as well as controlling the calcium reactor pH and LED moonlights on a lunar cycle. It used to control all my metal halide and VHO lighting but that is another function that is now lost to the AI Sol LED controller. It would be controlling the ATO function but I already had a ATO system prior to the RKL.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
That is correct, the RKL outlets are 120v AC so can only be on at full voltage or off. Pumps such as the MP and WP are DC powered so raising and lowering the DC voltage is easy via a controller. There are controllers with DC modules I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the wavemaker function of my RKL for about 3 years controlling two Hydor Evolution 1400's, switching back and forth every 30 seconds and it worked flawlessly.

About a year ago I switched to Jebao WP-25's which have their own built in controllers and really like the added modes and adjustability the RKL did not have since for the most part 120v AC pumps are On or OFF unlike the Jebao and other DC pumps that can vary speeds and timing b varying the DC voltage.

Other than that I use the RKL for temperature control and alarming for both heaters and fans as well as controlling the calcium reactor pH and LED moonlights on a lunar cycle. It used to control all my metal halide and VHO lighting but that is another function that is now lost to the AI Sol LED controller. It would be controlling the ATO function but I already had a ATO system prior to the RKL.
I have the Reefkeeper Elite Titanium. I got it about 6 month ago. I love it. Im controlling everything in my tank: LED lights, Skimmer, Chiller, Kalkwaser reactor, carbon reactor, phosphate Reactor, Bio pellet reactor, ATO with dual switch, main return pump and 6 Hydor Koralia pump's. With the Hydor all I can do is a wave mode. Left on for 3 sec than right side for 3 sec. You can change the seconds to minutes and to hrs if you want but you cant change the flow rate. Now they do have 2 module available for the reefkeeper. APC Module Advanced Pump Controller and a DCI Module DC 24v but I haven't really done the research on them because I my self am going with two Jebao pumps. They are way cheaper, come with the controller and from what I can't tell by watching some videos they have a powerful controlable flow rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.