The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went out on Saturday and bought a 20g long tank for my sump. I was wanting to do a wet test this week or next so I had to get a sump soon. I only paid about 25 bucks for it locally but I knew I had to buy some 1/4" acrylic to section it off (could have probably gotten away with 1/8").

Well last night I am at work (shipping supervisor at large retail distribution center (think really cheap discount store with black and yellow signs). Well the maintanence department has been working on a "wind block" for our outdoor smoking areas so our smokers don't get so cold when they are on break. Well I guess they snapped the corner off one of the pieces of 4X8 acrylic they were using. Imagine my excitement when I saw a 4' by 5' section of acrylic headed for the trash compactor......of course I stopped the maintanence guy and hollared at his supervisor and asked if they were going to toss it out...he said yes so I told him I would "take care of it".

So I got this big sucker home. There are drill holes around the outside edge about 2" all the way around I will lose. Also the "crack" is on the top side so I really only have about 4' by 3' 9" to play with, but more than enough for the sections of my tank.

I think I will measure it out and cut it so that I can get all three of my baffles, then just play with the rest. I wanted to learn to work with acrylic but I was worried about the cost, now I can "practice" my first try for free.

Need Ideas for what to build with whats left over....I figure if I cut really careful for my "sections" I would have enough acrylic left over for a 12X12X24 tank, good enough for a refugium if I did it right....I have no idea how to even cut this stuff though so I will be doing some reading I guess....any good links anyone?

If I don't have enough for a refugium I thought about using the extra for a quarantine/acclimation container...or even a top-off container. My last thought on this was to have a rubbermaid fuge under the tank, but to put this one up in the canopy off to the left of the actual stand...this would allow me to have a gravity feed for pods, and a pump feed for macro....just different options in reality I am just giving myself some "outs" incase I screw up and don't have enough for the fuge...

BTW the good news is they might have 2 or 3 left over 1/2 sheets of this stuff, and if so its "coming home with papa!".

As for my progess report. The inside of the stand is completely painted in an VERY glossy oil based paint...its rock hard too....I don't think I am going to use that for the outside of the stand I hated working with it. Everything is coming together nicely and I hope to have the first coat of paint on the outside of the stand later this week.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I usually cut acrylic on my table saw... just run it through slowly. Of course, the acrylic I use still has the protective paper on it, so you may have to cover one side with masking tape or something similar if yours has been removed.
What thickness is the acrylic you salvaged? If it's 1/4" I don't know if you'll be able to build a refugium of that size with it... it just doesn't have the stiffness of glass, and it'll bow out unless you do some structural reinforcing.
Otherwise, good score! :beer:

[edit]Hrm... actually 1/4" might be okay... for some reason I was thinking 1/8"... **** Mondays... :D

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Now you do know that to appease the reef gods for their gracious deed, you must sacrifice part of your wallet...

:) Pays to keep the eyes open - congrats on the find!
Danielle

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
dave also, make sure to use a saw blad that has very little to no offset on the blades.

they sell them at hd and lowes. the blade is labeled for cutting plastics. you'll know it when yo usee it, it's almost perfectly flat, and has way more teeth than a common wood cutting blade.

i've also read to slowly pour water onto the cut as you are cutting, to keep the cut from heating up/melting and gumming up the blade.

but i havent cut anyway, so i'm not sure just how valid that advice is.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Folks. I think Reefer Adict is right, unless I did braces at the top and bottom a 20" long tank might be a bit big with 1/4 inch it was in the car yesterday and got pretty warm...when I pulled it out it was VERY flexible....so that might be a bit big....however, since I still want to practice, I might consider building two smaller containers...1 for quarantine or acclimation, and one about 10g for top-off....I figure a 10g tank dimensions should be stable even with this thin of material.

Thanks for the Advice RA and Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.