The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

· Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
been planning this for a while now, watching and waiting in a local forum for the the right deal to come my way. looks like it finally did- just made a deal for a 135gallon! its acrylic, 60lx18wx24h with rounded front corners. scheduled to pick up this thursday(im being optimistic by posting this now, but it seemed like a sure thing)

been planning on condensing my 3 setups into one, right now i have the 65gal hex tank, a 60gal fowlr, and a 29gal tank running. also my 2gal nano but thats not coming down. just got to be too much, plus i think one tank would probably be better maintained than 3. i was looking for a 6ft tank, but 5 is good enough, better maybe as far as lighting it.

for lighting im thinking 2x250w hqi. i already have one, so thatll save a bit of cash. and probably 2x55w pc actinics which i also already have. the pci chiller i have should just make it in the 2 months of summer.

for nutrient export im going to try to use my sump from the hex tank, but it may be too short and too long. maybe ill try a 29gallon idk. i have a coralife 125skimmer which is also too small and an upgrade will need to be done...hopefully the 125 can keep up for a short time.

its coming with a stand and canopy but idk if ill use it. maybe temporarily but half the fun of a build-thread is the custom stand and canopy right?

overall plans for the tank is mixed reef/aggressive. im combining 3 systems so ill have polyps, shrooms, leathers, lps, sps.. 2 lions, niger trigger(maybe) snowflake eel(maybe) im guessing i have about 80-100lbs lr between the 3 that will be used maybe add more maybe not. ill probably do a ssb...

cant wait till thursday!!!

· Registered
228 Posts
Just a bit of info. Your dimensions may be off or gallons, but a 60x18x24 is a 120 gallon. a 135 is 60x24x24 or 72x18x24. again just offering a little info. as far as lighting seems great, I run about the same on mine. I saw the use of a canopy and I prefer and actually get more stabilization out of an open top tank (thought wouldnt be good for the eel). just some thoughts...

· Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a bit of info. Your dimensions may be off or gallons, but a 60x18x24 is a 120 gallon. a 135 is 60x24x24 or 72x18x24. again just offering a little info. as far as lighting seems great, I run about the same on mine. I saw the use of a canopy and I prefer and actually get more stabilization out of an open top tank (thought wouldnt be good for the eel). just some thoughts...
hmm. i didnt think to add it up, thats what he said it was... well i cant change the title now so.... :angry: whats the formula for tank volume again?

· Registered
13,673 Posts

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Glad you put the calculator up Tim, I was a bit taken back cause my 150 is 60x24x24, had to double check!
Reefer, with the fish list you put up you will have some really messy eaters and big poop makers! I suggest really putting alot of time into thinking about you flow design. Yoy will want to get as much detritus up and over the overflow as possible. You will definately need a very strong skimmer. Something rated well beyond you total volume of water. They take some tinkering but a beckett skimmer would be ideal IMO such as an MR-2 with a second injector amnd a good pump.
Also, it will be hard to keep a clean up crew with the lion, trigger and eel in there. so be aware of that!
be prepared to spend more than you expect to do it right. Dont skimp and dont take any short cuts or youll just be asking for headaches. A CLS is a greaat idea and almost manditory IMO.
This will be a great build to follow and if I can help just let me know!
Now it goes without saying but pictures must be posted as soon as possible and on a regular basis!!!!

· Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i know the fish list is crazy and im already re-thinking it. i think im going to try to find new homes for the volitian and radiata lions, and the snowflake.
im just kindof excited so anything im planning at this point besides the actual tank is somewhat subject to change... im not in a huge hurry, but id like to be up and running with just the one tank by december.

· Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i really dont think i want to do a cls, atleast not a standard external pump type. ive been thinking of building pvc racks for the lr and incorporating a spraybar into it with a large submersible pump.. then using stream pumps for added flow(seios or koralias). still not sure how i want to set up the return, i guess that will depend on where the bulkheads for the drains are. im open to suggestions i just would like to do without external pumps if possible. theyre too loud and not very efficient imo- no offense to external pump users.

· Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cant sleep thinking about getting the tank tomorrow lol. plans for it have changed a little bit though after it constantly being on my mind for a couple days now. sold my 55gal today with the 2 lions, trigger and eel. they just didnt fit in to the equation, they went to a good home though.

i was talking to my boss today, who is also a good friend, and an exceptionally good welder, about building a structural stand out of 2 or 3" aluminum square tube, and using hng's "clam shell" hinged canopy design. ill need actual tank dimensions befor i can really start designing it, but i have a pretty good idea in my head of what i want. one question about this for anyone that knows. how tall can the tank be before it would end up being top heavy? 18" wide and id like to build the stand about 36" tall. that would put the top of the tank at 50" and 6ft to the top of the canopy. also any structural engineers out there-if i used I beam for the top of the stand that the tank sits on could i get away with no center brace? how big would the aluminum Ibeams need to be?

and thanks whiskey for changing the title for me-:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 302 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.